To Progressive Scan or Not..........my friends !!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lemonjelly77, Nov 28, 2002.

1. lemonjelly77

lemonjelly77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, was wondering if there was anyone who could help me in my purchasing considerations !!

I am looking to buy a new tv and dvd player soon and i am interested in either the Toshiba 32ZD26 or the 36' model. would a progressive scan dvd player be advisable in order to maximise the progressive scan capabilities or not ?

Please help im a bit in the dark here and it seems prog scan is just kicking off in the mid range players so it may be worth holding on.

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21,700
    Hi,

Make sure the tv you are buying has prog scan on it!, a dvd player on its own with prog scan makes no difference. If I was going down this route I would, as it will give you more resolution and make jaggies less noticeable.

rai

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    I think what Rai means is make sure the TV is capable of accepting a progressive signal from an external source such as a DVD player. TV's that are advertised as PROGRESSIVE very often cannot accept a progressive scan signal from a suitably equipped DVD player. They are also not very good at de-interlacing in comparison to most progressive scan DVD players.

The ideal solution is to see both working in unison and then make a decision.

Gordon

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps any, I have the NTSC progressive scan enabled Toshiba SD510e DVD player via component cables into the progressive scan enabled Toshiba 36ZD2P TV.

The difference between the interlaced picture and the progressive scan picture is extremely superior during certain sequences and is constantly better during all playback (of NTSC/R1 DVDs).

Gordon makes a good point about the TV's own 'progressive' mode. When used on PAL DVDs, Sky, VCR and off-air images it does, to my eyes, add more depth and give a smoother picture (but without the usually associated softness or reduction of clarity) but it is not comparable to the progressive scan picture from the R1 DVDs.

Depending on your budget, the new SD520 Toshiba DVD player might be a good lower cost option, or possibly the Denon 3800 if you really want to go to town.

5. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the other side there are not 36" CRT television accepting Pal progressive on the market (as far as I know).

Hence, if you have R2 DVDs, you will not able to see them in full progressive (DVD+TV) even if you buy a DVD player able to deliver a pal progressive signal (e.g. the new Philips DVD963SA).

I may be wrong but I think that the only CRT that accept pal progressive is the Panasonic TX-32PH40 (32").

Silent Fly

6. lemonjelly77

lemonjelly77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the replies.............is there any more opinions on this matter ??

7. regis

regis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another model accepting progressive PAL is the PANA 32PS20, which is a cheaper model.

For the coming JVC HV32D25, there is nothing clear as of today.

Régis.