1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To "Progress" or not to "Progress" ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Progressive, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Progressive

Progressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently been lucky enough to acquire a NEC42MP2 Plasma screen for a relatively cheap price.

Consequently, I have been swotting up what AV equipment to buy to give me a decent setup (SACD/AudiiDVD/6.1/etc).

So far I have chosen the Yamaha 640RDS AV and KEF2005.2 Speaker Package. However the Universal DVD player has given me a dilema. Do I purchase the Pioneer 565 (<£250) or the Denon 2900 (<£850) ?

The question I have is how important is progressive component ?

The Pioneer provides component NTSC progressive scan but may only offer PAL60 ? progressive scan (What's this ?)

The Denon offers progressive on both PAL & NTSC but at a massive price increase !!

I believe that the MP2 will accept a progressive signal (presumably just through either of the 3xRCA or 3xBNC component interfaces), but having seen an article on the MP3 (later model with better blanks and contrast ratios) it advises that there is no gain in a progressive signal as the inbuilt scaler does an excellant job ? Please see link to article below.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/nec-42mp3-wiley.html

Can anybody give me some advise ? If the difference is so minimal then is isn't worth the extra cost - Thanks

2. Progressive

Progressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little concerned.

Have a asked a really stupid question or have I opened up a can of worms ?

I guess that what I'm asking is "is it really worth spending silly money to obtain progressive component" ?

I would like to get the best'ish picture at a reasonable price. I'm certainley not a heavy audiophile junky ie I'm not the kind of person to inspect pixels looking for minor imperfections.

3. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`m not very techie but here goes.

i think it depends on how good or bad the internal chip is on the nec mp2 if its good there might be know need to go progressive.

but as as you have a plasma (expensive toy) why not use it to its fullist.

i have a toshiba /panny 4 plasma and i noticed an improvement with progressive scan . mostly on car chases slow pans across still moving objects.

i do think that good interlased is better than cheap progressive.

there is a nec mp3 in the window of audio-x by me in cardiff they have it running with a pioneer dvd(not sure on model) but that gives a stunning picture.

if you take a look on the www.avsforums.com in the plasma forum there is a guy called ( ofolar) i think he has a mp2 maybe pm him for his thoughts .

hope this helps.

why £850 for a denon 2900 when you can pick up a arcam dv88+ in the classified for about £600ish
    personal choice.

4. Progressive

Progressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Jmack.

Whilst normally a Plasma is an expensive toy, I was lucky to get mine extremely cheap (and no it hasn't fallen off a back of a lorry !!).

Having seen other reviews, I guess that in it's day the 42MP2 was top-class, but like everything else in the world it is now technologicaly out of date.

The Pioneer was my choice because of the combined SACD and DVDA (who knows which will become the standard) ability - hence more future proof.

I note that the DV88+ will be able to be upgraded to play DVDA so this is not a bad idea.

Thanks for the details for the other 42MP2 owner.