Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

To Philips 720 owners

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by EN, Apr 10, 2005.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that you can not record directly on DVD. You have to put it first on HDD and then dub to the DVD.
    Correct?

2. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't own one,but that is true.Just one of the drawbacks of that machine

3. robert.hunter

robert.hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have a Philips DVDR725H which has the same specification as the 720 but twice the HDD size (160 GB cf 80 GB for the 720). It is true that you cannot record directly onto DVD.

When I first purchased the machine, I regarded this as a drawback but, in practice, it has turned out not to be the case. I record programmes onto the hard disc, watch them and delete most of them. If I want to retain a copy of a particular programme, I can edit it on the hard disc and then save it (Philips call this "archiving") to DVD, a full two hours takes around 25 minutes. Whilst editing could be improved, it is generally possible to remove any unwanted sections eg advertisements.

I have had some problems with Philips machines in the past but this model has performed very well. Guideplus+ is a joy to use and is, in my opinion, indispensible.