To pause or not to pause?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uncle eric, Mar 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland, Gordon and any other clued up CRT people. I've always thought pausing a CRT (PJ on with no image) was ok untill I read an interesting thread over at AVS which is now casting some doubt in my mind. I've cut and pasted this guys comments below. My question is, does this hold water or is this yet another 'expert'.

Quote from Jeschoitz,
    "Okay,I can see that some of you dont belive this but it is a fact that when you pause your projektor you will have a build up of electrones around some of the electrodes because it will not be accelarated out to the phosphor.The result will be (over time)that you looses I know this for a fact because some of our "proffesional" users(i.e large meeting rooms and so on) need to replacve the tubes after a couple of thousand hours.They claim that they have just beeb using it for a few hours,but what they infact did was pausing it between the use.Befor shutting it of during night time.Im not saying that a few hours in pause will be destroing the pj,BUT BE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM!
    As a conclusion;dont use the "pause"button to save your crt,s;it will wear them out faster than actually using them with a video picture!
    Thanx for listening!
    Jan Erik
    Service tech in Videosystem since the start of projectors back in mid 80,s"

He goes on to say,

"Okay,i dug up some more info on the subject.I was "unclair"about what the result of the pause would cause,now I know a little bit more:
    When you pause the projector OR its on but not showing any picture it will cause a "Spurious Emition"in the crt.This is because your heather is on and you dont drive your cathodes properly.This will cause a small amount of electrones accelrated to the phosphor.Once this leaqige is started it will not stop.The result of it all is that when displaying a black image you will see some light on the crt.You will try to turn G2 down but after a while it will still be very visible.The Barco 909(quite new)has a new kind of crt which delay this problem.This will happend with ALL manufacters and brands!
    Also,if you use a kind of screen saver this is probably the best.
    Again I might be accelerate the problem,but be aware of it"

What do you think?

Eric

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No imput?

Eric

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't a clue. Roland did however say that my Tubes were in reasonable condition, even though there's 20,000 hours on the clock, because it was probably paused rather than put on standby. He estimates about 4000 hours of actual tube use from those 20,000 hours.

This may be a one off, but put paid to what is said the the thread about companies having to replace tubes after a couple of thousand hours.

Is the counter reset in the tubes are replaced? Maybe they arn't the original tubes, and the counter wasn't reset when they were replaced?

Nick

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,059
    As far as I am aware, trying to remember a coversation with roland, Barco's clocks can't be reset, even when adding new tubes. Or was it they can be changed but only via software and the factory? er can't really remember sorry...:(

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Eric:

Rolands on holiday..lucky git.

Here's what I think. Nonsense.

Well, perhaps.

First of all he isn't talking about pausing your DVD or video image. He is talking about using PICTURE MUTE on projector. I sold a chap a CRT with 47,000HRS ON the clock. It had original tubes and the image was great. That equates to somthing like 5.5 years on MUTE......From what this guy was saying the thing should have been toast....

As these things wear out the level of BLACK creeps up and G2's may be adjusted to compensate but I don't believe leaving a unit on MUTE will be a big issue. I'm sure Roland will come on when he's back and explain about installations he'd done wit Barco where they have left the units on permanently on mute waiting to have a picture put on them as permanently being on reduces stress on components and keeps temperature constant helping to reduce or eliminate drift. I guess there are two sides to this story.

Gordon

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    This guy Jeschoitz posted several times in the AVS CRT section as somewhat of a Barco expert. To be honest, I've rarely read anything by him that makes sense.
    However, this time I was a little intrigued as it sounded vaguely plausible. Then again......

Regards
    Eric

7. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Lo All,

Make that 47,100 hours and still going strong !! :D :D

Cheers

Dave

8. stevenwilliams

stevenwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also think this is rubbish,

A company I used to work for has a CRT projector in a training room. They kept the machine on pause and never turned it off.. Ther projector was used for about 2hr's per day but had a counter at over 40,000 and the picture was fine.

It's a shame the manufacturers don't provide 2 counters..

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
  10. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm back, sorry I missed the start of this, I don't dive into AVS as much as I should.

My personal experience is that it makes no difference. The advantage of leaving a Barco in Pause (picture mute but with the EHT running) is that it keeps every thing warm and ready to go. but the clock is running and the counter keeps going.

Switching it right off causes a lot of components to draw power to bring them up to charge. When I worked for IBM we left them all on Mon - Fri in the hope there was less chance of a catastrophic failure on power up.

I have not seen a projector that has been affected by the pause effect mentioned by Jeschoitz.

The general feeling when I was at Barco was if the PJ was going to be used on and off during the day (say for meetings) then it was best left on pause in between. If it was occasional use then to power up for an hour before each time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.