to pair with Rotel RA12

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by noycim, Jul 11, 2015.

1. noycim

noycim
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

For the same amount of money ( close to 950 usd), ı need to choose between

Q Acoustics 3050
    Focal Chorus 714
    Monitor Audio BX5
    KEF LS50 (ı know this is BS but for 950 usd, it'a a bargain)

Amp is Rotel RA12 2x60 W 8 ohm

I listen mostly Heavy Metal, Rock, Progressive Metal etc. Room is close to 25m2.

2. hifix

hifix
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,432
    Personally I'd prefer the LS50s from a quality point of view, but for your size room and music, I'd pick the 3050s from your list, although I haven't heard that particular pair of Focals. They can be a little 'forceful' in the higher registers, so not sure how well they'd pair with Rotel amps.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,308
    I'm curious how you ended up with this diverse list of speakers? They all reflect very different implied listening habits.

Also, what are the actual dimensions of your room?

Is this a closed room or part of an open floor plan? If a single stand alone room, how does it connect to other room - through a large archway or through a narrow door? These details matter.

The NEW Monitor Audio Bronze 5 are about $415 each, or $830/pr. These are worthy speakers, the Monitor Audio Bronze series has always been very popular.

The larger Monitor Audio Bronze 6 are about $550 each or $1100/pr, and have one extra bass driver. This would be my preference.

Amazon.com: Monitor Audio Bronze Series 6 2 1/2Way Floorstanding Speaker - Each - Black Oak: Electronics

The FOCAL 714 are clear, but have limited bass ([email protected]) and cost $650 each.

The Q Acoustic 3050 are about $1100/pr (I assume per pair but the website didn't make it clear). The 3050 have two 6.5" bass drivers but modest bass at 44hz.

Q Acoustics 3050 - Floorstanding Speakers - Award Winner

The Kef LS50 are really stunningly clear speakers, but they are 5.25" bookshelf speaker with a bass response of 79hz at -3db and 47hz at -6db. That's OK for a bookshelf, but nothing special. But ...absolutely stunningly clear and crisp. But does that lend itself to you music in the best possible way.

Right now the highly rated Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 are on close out for $999/pr from Music Direct (USA). The rated bass response is about 30hz.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Tower Speakers (Pr) at Music Direct

Wharfedale Diamond 10.7 Black Tower Speakers (Pr) **DEMO** at Music Direct

The speakers at $999/pr are available in Black, Cherry, and Rosewood. The Cherry is not remotely as orange as the photos make it appear. It is a nice medium brown with a slight hint of red. The rated bass response is about 30hz.

ALSO, while you quoted in US Dollars, you didn't actually say you were in the USA. If you are not, it would be helpful to know where you actually are?

The speakers you've selected aren't consistent. You need to think about what you really want. If you are in the USA, then the Diamond 10.7 should do a good job for a very wide range of music.

Second to the Diamond 10.7 would be the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 or Bronze 6.

Steve/bluewizard