To P+ or not to P+?

G

greenthumb

Hi im looking to buy a Philips 9617 32" after reading rave reviews. I am looking to buy it from Sound and Vision:confused: The guy on the phone Simon,seemed like a really helpful bloke and mentioned the Toshiba set to look at and the Panny pb50.
After reading this forum i'm a little sceptical about buying from them. I live on the isle of wight so mail order is my only option. 6 months interest free credit is a must also.
Has anyone got any positive comments on Sound and vision and also suggestions on my choice of set? Picture is paramount, sound not that important. Thanks

I wouldn't get the Panny if you watch a lot of NTSC (R1, R3) DVDs - they tend to suffer from moire patterning.

I was all set to replace my Panasonic 36 inch with a smaller Phillips until I took my copy of 'Solaris' to be played on the pixel plus set in Baretts - I was horrified - 6 minutes in, there is a scene with a horse fairly close up movig from from left to right - the reported 'shimmering halo' effect , was very obvious around the top of the horse was enough to make me lose faith in all those 9/10 reports on pixel plus I'd seen.

Don't believe everything you read - I bought the Panny on the basis of reputable mag reports and was very disappointed. At the moment, I'm now looking very seriously at Loewe sets/

Originally posted by stretcher
I took my copy of 'Solaris' to be played on the pixel plus set in Baretts
You can't make judgements on sets such as these without playing with the settings. The settings that are used are crucial (e.g. if DNR is turned on) and they are almost always configured badly in store.

Sorry S.G., just can't agree there - the set was optimised and I played with the settings for some time - my reckoning is that this is one of these 'golden discs; which is a strong test for demonstrating shortcomings - the disc was aboslutely A1 on both a regular 4:3 TV and also my former Panny (which thank god has now been sold)

KC

If you played with the settings, then fair enough. I'm sorry I assumed that you hadn't :)

I'm not familiar with Solaris on the PP, but many people just get a demo in store of a TV and base their decisions on that without ever having touched the settings which, I'm sure you'll agree, is a shame.

greenthumb,

At any rate you should go for the 32PW9527, not the 9617. You'll get the new Cybertube HD tube, instead of a Panasonic tube.

Another good torture disc is AI. The film grain is sometimes too much for the circuits to handle.

Regards.

Any sets that use motion compensation are likely to suffer from these flaws.

The only thing that IMO makes Loewe and Bang & Olufsen stand out is that they either don't use, or don't overuse tricks. The pictures are more natural. However, they both use other manufacturers' components, not the least ones from Philips.

100Hz sets are littered with digital artifacts, not only block noise. The basic 100Hz processing is of horrible quality in most 100Hz sets.

Yup. Unfortunately even Loewe televisions suffer from digital artifacts, although they aren't as noticable as they are on other televisions. Of course, you could just turn off the digital processing (it's DMI/DMM on the Loewe sets) and you'd have a perfect crisp picture without artifacts, you'd just not get the 3D life-like effect of 100hz TV's.

Originally posted by Zacabeb
The only thing that IMO makes Loewe and Bang & Olufsen stand out is that they either don't use, or don't overuse tricks. The pictures are more natural.
Sony don't use any tricks in the LS60s either. It's just plain old 100Hz, no extraneous digital processing. IMO the picture looks incredibly superior to that on the 50Hz sets I had before that (Philips 28PW6515, JVC AV28R25) and those I've seen in stores. The only downside is the blurred horizontal fast scrolling text, which I expect at higher refresh rates (I see it when watching DVDs on my laptop's LCD as well) and this isn't something that bothers me either.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom