1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To owners of Hitachi PD3000's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RichardJ, Jun 19, 2003.

1. RichardJ

RichardJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can all you owners of the Hitachi plasma's please give me your honest opinion of the good bits and bad bits on your screen. If you could wind back the clock would you still purchase the same screen or would you go for something else.

Thanks in advance.

2. adam1974

adam1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richard,

I've only had my screen for 2 weeks, but at the moment I am very happy with it!
    The good points being the stunning picture quality on DVD's, the ease of set-up/ connections with the tuner box, I also do not notice any buzzing from the screen and no fan noise from the tuner box but maybe this is because there is some back ground noise in my living room anyway (fish tank etc.).
    The only slight bad point I have found so far is that on Sky digital the reds can be jagged especially on dialgonal red lines. Oh yeah the final bad point having a wife who wants to have the brightness/colour settings too high.

Adam

3. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Richard

I have owned one for just over a month.

Good points are ease of use and set-up. This perhaps is not the screen for a videophile, however the PQ does get strong reviews against the competition and my experience is that it is as good as it is said to be. The supplied speakers are far better than an TV speakers I have heard before and quite OK for casual listening.

The bad points is slight picture shimmering around slow movement which is visible at two feet or so. The processing does also make some movement jerky.

The use of the speakers as the central channel is poorly implemented on rare occasions.

The default settings are vile - too bright by far which leaves only the favourite setting which is shared between inputs so you have to compromise between the ideal for component and say sky - or adjust all the time.

Would I still buy it - yes. Whether this the right screen for you is a decision you must make. If you after the bleeding edge of quality at any cost or want a screen that requires endlesss fiddling with to get it perfect this is not for you. If you want a plasma TV that looks great whether on or off and have a restricted budget then I would reccomend it strongly. My only problem is getting in a case tonight so I can use it in Greece for the next two weeks ;-)

4. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best things I think are:
    - value for money, getting tuner/multimedia box, speakers and table top stand - with most other screens these are extra.
    - impressive colours and contrast.
    - connectivity, and having the separate box to connect all the cables to.

Bad points (scraping the barrel here) are:
    - dithering is noticeable close to the screen on moving images.
    - fade ins/outs are sometimes jerky.

I don't think any plasma screen is perfect yet, and I'm happy with my choice. Wish I had waited a while though, as prices have come down considerably recently.

I haven't had any of the buzzing problems others have had with the 42PD3000

5. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Would agree with other posters. Picture is great, it's easy to use, plenty of inputs, and seems more forgiving of input quality than other panels I've seen (I assume the media box contributes to that).

Can't comment on the attached speakers since I never used them.

Sadly mine was returned since, after trying two units, I wasn't able to get one that didn't buzz (transformer buzz from the top of the panel). I can believe that it wouldn't bother some people since it wasn't audible for a lot of the time. But I found that when sound levels dropped on the viewing material that the buzzing was audible, and it distracted me every damn time.

This was the 32" model.

So for me the plasma hunt continues .....

6. bossc@

bossc@

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Same as cwick and a lot of others on here. Had no problem with DVD (as expected) but the picture through NTL digital was completely unacceptable on most channels. The only ones that were any good were the movie channels.

My main gripe was the buzzing from the screen, I could here it slightly but my wife seemed to be very concious of it. Also, only having one user definable setting seemed a bit stupid. I found that I was adjusting constantly depending on what channel I was using.

I'm not a videophile or expert in any way but I think I'm comptetent enough to be able to get a good image and I just couldn't with this. I couldn't justify the expense so mine too was returned. Its a shame 'cos its a great looking piece od kit and the ease of connectivity is excellent.

Good to here though that there are some very satisfied owners out there - just wish i was one of them.:(

7. watchlotsdvd

watchlotsdvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI I had a 42PD3000 for about 3 months the first screen had a very noisy transformer had that swapped out after about a 3 weeks then the 2nd still noisy ...tried to live with but just couldn't.

To be honest the PQ was very good on DVD via component on my Sony 735

Nice screen well designed by a few dodgy transformers and I got 2 of em!

Have retuned it to Hitachi and plumped for a Sharp 30" LCD to tide me over till I can get my next Plasma a new 50"er

I agree with most that the screen is FAB but if you end up with the really noisy transformer it not much fun.

One thing I have found is that the Hitachi struggled more with RGB feed from my

8. Obouma

Obouma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have it for 1 month now.
    I didn't regret it one moment.
    There is some slight buzzing when you listen on top of the screen, but i noticed this with all plasmas.
    Good point: great PQ.
    Bad point: It doesn't store teletekst subpages so you have to wait for them.

9. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have now had a 32PD3000 for a month - after several months of viewing demonstrations all dozens of plasmas.

Even after 1 month I am still sure that I made the right decision - the picture is superb.

There is a buzzing from the display on bright pictures, but you have to be about 12 inches from the screen, with the sound off to hear it. It is no problem at all from the normal viewing postion. I have heard much worse buzzing from many CRT's.

The picture is superb from DTT (on the high bitrate channels), and on DVD it certainly shows up the problems with transfer from some films. On my own video, and computer generated graphs on DVD the picture is again superb.

The only problem for me is the slight solarisation around bright lights, but again the quality of the encoding has a big effect on the extent of the problem.

I would certainly buy another.

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Dear Mr Hitachi I have an electical product that buzzes what should I do?

Dear Friend, talk to my friends messrs Sony Toshiba Panasonic Pioneer Philips LG Samsung - they'll tell you the same ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS BUZZ

Jeepers I lived with a Sony WS for 4 years that had a wonderful picture but hummed like nobody's business, it's a compromise I'm afraid - everything electrical (and I mean that) makes a noise - bloody hell if you're that fussy, you'd better ditch the fridge and the kids pc 'cos I can hear those items more than I could my buzzy Sony and heaven forbid if you live near a road or have a clock or a loo with an extractor fan.

Background noise is a fact of life Hitachi panels emit a faint buzz but certainly no worse than most tvs or plasma panels. If you want silence from your tv the only way to achieve it is to NOT TURN IT ON.

If your panel made too much noise then you have the right to return it as it may have been faulty, but please don't let your experience lead you to believe that all Hitachi panels are noisy, 'cos they aren't

11. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Dear Mr Hitachi I have an electical product that buzzes what should I do?

Dear Friend, talk to my friends messrs Pioneer - they'll tell you that ELECTRICAL PRODUCTS DONT HAVE TO BUZZ :D

Wilber, I take your point. I wish I knew whether the two I tried were faulty or "working as designed" because everything else about the Hitachi was great.

To be honest, I'm finding the whole plasma buying experience a bit of a lottery. Really wanted a Panny 37" but, much like this thread, people report having silent ones and ones that sound like electric fly traps.

Seems that only Pioneer are able to reliably manufacture silent plasma displays, and I aint sticking one of those 43" behemoths in my lounge !

Cheers, Carl.

12. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I've been doing some experimenting with my DVD player connection...

I assumed the component output would give the best quality, so I've been using that. I wanted to see the difference between it and using a SCART, so I switched it to the SCART input, and changed the DVD settings to RGB, and watched carefully for differences. The picture is rock solid using both types, but strangely, looking closely, I noticed a "bleeding" of the picture of 2.35:1 widescreen onto the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen at certain times (eg. when a bright image enters a dark picture) when using components. This was not there using the RBG SCART input!

I am surprised, and may use RGB SCART rather than component inputs from now on to eliminate this problem, since actual picture quality doesn't seem to be any worse with it. This may all be down to the fact that at present I am only using a budget DVD player (Toshiba SD-220E). Anyone else noticed bleeding into the black bars using component inputs?