to oled or not to oled

ade666

Standard Member
Hi all. its been a while since i've been here but now after some advice.

thinking of upgrading my tv from a panasonic 58ex700b thats 4 years old, that although is ok i bought on a whim and should have spent a little more time and money.

i stream through a shield pro, netflix, disney plus etc and game from an xbox one x. wife and i also watch a mix of blu ray and dvd.

we sit approx 3m away and as you can see in the pic attached its sat in the window. can't change this as the wiring for my avr is setup for this but most of the time the blind is shut.

thinking of going 65" or maybe 70 plus but the budget is maybe the limiting factor approx £2500.

i've so many threads my head is buzzing but not sure to go oled or full array.

help me guys you're maybe my only hope

Attachments

• BF4AD4C7-80E9-4D2C-A3FE-6ADF468ADFDC.jpeg
    BF4AD4C7-80E9-4D2C-A3FE-6ADF468ADFDC.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 82

Dodgexander

The larger you go up in size generally the worse value OLED is versus LCD. So if you can fit a 75" for example, you're best looking at FALD TVs than a 77" OLED.

Also depends a lot on the TV, since some FALD models are better than others. TVs like the Sony X90J and Samsung Q80A are entry FALD models, but don't really get very bright for an LCD TV when using HDR, so it makes them less than ideal.

ade666

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice.

found this on TPS, fits the bill i think. firstly is it any good and also i usually buy from richer sounds but these guys look like they know there stuff, do they or am i better sticking with RS

Sony XR65X95JU 65-inch 4K HDR LED TV

mikej

That window clearly lets in a lot of light even with the blind closed so I would choose your screen with care, especially if you watch TV during the day. I'm not sure about LCD screens but OLEDs can be quite reflective so if you try to watch during the day, you're going to see more of yourself reflected in the screen than you will of the actual content, I suspect ! This can be more noticeable on darker content I find, so movies or TV series more than the usual daytime TV programs. A brighter screen may mitigate this to a certain extent, but I suspect it won't do so completely under those harsh viewing conditions. This will obviously be far less of an issue if you mainly watch in the evenings, though.

ade666

Standard Member
mikej you're not wrong it does but apart from lazy weekends the wife and i both work so its an evening thing only.

Dodgexander i think i am going to wait for black friday and see what crops up. do any other retailers have reputation for black friday deals. will certainly check out richer sounds and TPS

ade666

Standard Member

Sony KD75XH9505BU it seems that another thread has links to this tv and at an outstanding price. Is it worth going for it as its a 2020 model (i think)​

Dodgexander

Sony KD75XH9505BU it seems that another thread has links to this tv and at an outstanding price. Is it worth going for it as its a 2020 model (i think)​

Its a widely recommended TV, but every TV has its price and you forgot to mention the price!

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom