1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To much star wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Movies Forum' started by GalacticaActual, Sep 22, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Right, I know I am probably going to get killed for saying this but dont some of you think it might be time to calm down a bit over the star wars dvds? :D
    Dont get me wrong, I like the films, I even bought them yesterday from the local woolworths. It was not a special trip out though. I will not be booking time off of work to watch them all in a row. I did not order them specially from an on line dvd retailer and get all worked up about it not coming on time.
    I will not be watching for lip sync problems or get worked up about the picture being to dark. I will not be bothered about the instruments on the score not sounding like they are coming from the right speakers. It does not bother me in any way shape or form that Georgey boy has yet again messed around with his creations. And I really dont care that the case for the box set is made out of flimsy card board and not like the indianna jones box set.
    Cheers. ;)
    Dave.

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Of course you're right. But it's difficult not to get caught up in it. It's an emotive film. In the sense that it was something a lot of us enjoyed as klids/teenagers. So it takes people back. I really only caught the end of the Star Wars phenomina. Was Born in the same month the original film was released, May 1977. Therefore I was 6 when the final episode was released but I remember watching the films on tape or tv, and I can remember having Han Solo's spaceship, (forget the name now), and a robot with a detachable mouth piece and transparant middle. There aren't many films I can look back to, that I enjoyed as a kid, and still do now.

3. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think it's simply a case of nostalgia mixed with a heavy dose of pure fantasy escapism. Other wise we would all probably be debating Iraq and the hostages and who the next one is to get beheaded, or we'd be debating which country is going to be the first to push the button, Pakistan on India or North Korea on South, or we'd be dwelling over the hundreds of school children who tragically lost their lives recently etc....etc.....etc.....It gives one such a fealing of hopelessness and helplessness. That IMO is why people openly and unashamedly escape into football or other sports and of course film fantasy in the way that we do. At least we can turn it off at the end, what would we do without it? :lesson: Did you know there are kids in some parts of the worlds trouble spots, no older than 5 years of age, that can dessemble and reassemble an automatic weapon faster than our professional army personel. I'd rather kids stick to freindly light saber duels. For me kids of all ages can get as fanatical as they like about Star Wars so long as they don't get any ideas about taking over the universe of course :D

Just a thought ;)

Croc

4. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +351
    To much star wars?

surely that phrase does not exist? well not in my little world! :thumbsup:

5. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Dave, are you ill..? :D

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

Well getting just a little sick of all the Starwars "excitement" :rolleyes:

Seriously. I am not knocking the films, like i said I have bought the box set, but there does seem to be an awfull amount of people already moaning about the things. Wrong music vol, bad packaging, film to dark in places. Has the exicment that has surounded this release just gone a bit far thats all?
    I have read through some of the posts on the starwars release and there is one with people just posting about when they got it , I mean, for goodness sake! God help us all if episode three is anything less than perfection, especially when it gets released on DVD :zonked:

7. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Though I have noticed some of these supposed problems they don't bother me. But it is interesting to see what people think about this release.
    However, seeing as this is the biggest DVD release ever people are going to give it a lot of their attention....maybe too much attention! :D

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Sacrilege!
    How dare you say such things.

I will this afternoon be committing hari-kari as my discs didn't turn up until 0910 this morning.
    What the hell do Play.com think they're doing ruining peoples lives like this?

They should be tried for Human Rights abuses.

etc., etc.

:D ;)

9. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    Burn the heretic!

I think its time for me and the good old boys to have us a hanging.

:rolleyes:

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Hanging's too good for him.

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Dave, it will all calm down in a week or so. We've all waited along time for this and after the disappontments of Ep.1 & 2 were all bound to get over excited about the original trilogy.

As a mark of how excited we all got - my wife cancelled a day out last Sunday so we could watch them all back to back. now as we all know if the wife notices ANYTHING in the world of AV its worth getting excited about!!!!

Gary

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    I would have thought you guys would preffer freezing in carbonite, or if i must be hanged, maybe upside down in an ice cave. Or even better perhaps i will stand still and let some twit in a black helmet slice me in two :eek: ;)

13. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Hey! Don't include me with the Star Wars Groupies. :rolleyes:

I'm not planning to watch my disks until next year after EP3 has been released on DVD...

14. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Hasnt episode 2 already been released? :D

Anyway sorry Brogan me old mate, thought you might be one of them there starwars nutters. I take it you dont dress up in the costumes and make funny noises as you wave a plastic glowing tube attached to a flashlight about then? :laugh:

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    I thought all this star wars stuff was a bit OTT, but when I had nothing to do at work yesterday afternoon I won't deny the thought of going home and opening my set didn't become increasingly appealing... to the extent that I gave myself the afternoon off and went home and gave eps 4 + 5 a spin, and I would probably have watch ROTJ too if I hadn't been going out to meet some friends for a drink.

I have to say though... the supposedly outrageously bad audio in ANH (if you believe some sources) passed-me-by completely unnoticed (I was aware of it before watching the disc and I went back and double checked it afterwards), I never managed to pick up on reversed surrounds either, the pic quality looked great for a film that's nearly 30 years old and didn't appear to be too dark in places at all to me, and the lipsynch was spot-on. When a site like The Digital Bits screams "RECALL" over some of these things I can't help but think "anal retention". :rolleyes:
    The most offensive thing about the box set, from the 2 films I've watched so far, is the fact that I'm still pretty sure I could see matte boxes around the tie fighters during the dogfight after the millenium falcon escapes from the Deathstar... it may have been my imagination though :confused: and I don't consider it a problem if there are.

...and as a 32 year old going back to these films with adult eyes, you'll have to excuse me when I say they aren't exactly that much different to the feel of the new trilogy... these films are as badly written and poorly acted as the new ones, they're just not as long so you don't get chance to get bored and fidgety :laugh:
    Its all just good escapist knockabout fun

16. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Good trick if you can do it :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Well of course I do that....doesn't everyone?
    But I hardly think this forum is the best place for discussing my bedroom antics :D

18. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just knew someone would accuse me of moaning.

I've found the picture is really dark in places, so I want to know if it's just my setup or if it's the disks themselves - that's all. People should be able to make observations about the quality of the transfer without being slagged off as 'moaners'.

19. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

Hey , the thread is only meant as a bit of a joke ;) Please dont take anything I have said to heart. I AM NOT A STARWARS NUT. but i do like the films. I understand that you thought it was best to try and sort out what you thought might be a problem. That is what these forums are for afterall :)
    My point is, is that even though these films are very good I feel as if it has just gone a bit to far thats all. Like some people have said, for a film that is getting on a bit now you would be hard pressed to find a better presentation of it on any format. Just sit back and enjoy :smoke: .
    Now if we were to start talking about and getting worked up about startrek movies, well thats another matter altogether. :smashin:

20. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

Oh go on, it might be more exciting than waiting for episode 3 to come out!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: