• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

To Mount or not To Mount

filthymusic

Standard Member
Hi there,
I am fairly new to the forum and AV equipment in general. I have been reading this forum for a few months and the advice has been great. I have brought a LG - 50PS3000 50 inch Plasma and LG BD350 Blu-Ray player.

I am very happy with my setup so far but am interested in the aesthetic of wall mounting my TV. I would appreciate some feedback on the cons or reasons for not doing this. I am not a great DIY-er. I am at the stage where I can pretty much get flat pack furniture to almost resemble the picture in the instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Member252055

Prominent Member
Hi

Firstly, don't worry about the DIY aspect. If you're not confident doing the job then all you need is a local handyman or even a more DIY savvy mate to help you. Attaching a TV wall bracket to the wall is no more complicated than a bookshelf, it's just that you're hanging a more expensive and much flashier item on it.

The pro's for wall mounting, I think, outweigh the con's. The main point is that you gain a lot of floorspace back in your room. Even if this floorspace isn't necesarily used, the perception of the size of your room is increased quite a bit especially if you're freeing up a corner by loosing a large cabinet.

The cons are that you need to not only get the TV up on the wall but also deal with cabling. This isn't too difficult, you can either go the whole hog and channel your wall or you can get one of the many cable management conduit products to run up to the TV.

You also need to work out whether the TV will be able to be viewed easily from around the room if you have it on the wall. Flexible brackets are available for different viewing angles but these tend to be deeper than fixed brackets and will increase the depth of the TV much more.

In most UK houses the TV either ends up in a corner or mounted over the fireplace. You can do either of these and, although mounting a flat TV into a corner sounds a bit daft, it can work very well. As mentioned above, just freeing up that bit of floor can make a big difference to the feel of your room.

I hope this all helps. Maybe posting a room plan would help get some more specific feedback.

Regards
Graham

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom