To Miele or not to Miele?

P-P-S-S

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My current Bosch washing machine has broken down (disappointingly after only 3.5 years) and I am looking to buy a new one. I have had enough of cheap crap that breaks after a few years and am looking to get something sturdy and reliable.

From my research I narrowed the choices down to Miele (well ISE as well for a brief moment but there are too many unknown variables with that brand).

More specifically I am looking at W5872 Edition 111 model. The cheapest i have found it is for £950 with £111 cashback. Miele are offering buyers the chance to extend warranty to 10 years for a mere £150. So in total that makes the machine's price £990 with 10 years warranty.

Should I go for it? Is it worth the money? Is the W5000 range better value for money in comparison to the W3000 range? Annoyingly the Miele website does not offer the comparing option.

Another main question I have is: why do the Miele washing machines take so long to do a wash cycle? For a 90 degree wash it takes 3 hours :eek: and for a 40 degree (8kg) it takes a whopping 2.5 :eek:hours. The quick daily cycle takes around 1 hour but that is with half the load (4kg).

For comparison my now defunct Bosch did a 90 degree wash in 1.5 hours.

Anyone have any opinions/advice/etc please?

Have a Miele washer and dryer and they are worth the money, we also had the 10 year warranty and have used it on the dryer, really top notch service, rang them up and a guy came out replaced the busted bit and went.

Just for info I also had a similar experience with a LG machine in my old house fantastic machine and really good service from the lg service team.

Cheers Darko

The sales lady we spoke to in John Lewis highly recommended Miele when we were looking.

We just could not justify the expense at this time though. (Plus the Mrs thought the Miele were fugly machines!)

We went with a Siemens in the end with a 5 year warranty, half the price of the Miele.

There are a number of relatively newer technologies around at present (ecobubble, direct drive, yada yada) so if the Siemens goes after 5 years or more we can look again at that time and see if any of these changes the way washing machines are.

Thanks guys. The Mrs doesnt care much about the looks as long as it works and I quite like the "old fashioned" looks of the Miele. It's unique but not for everyone I suppose. We are planning to have a new kitchen soon and it is going to be old country style so the Miele will fit in perfectly. Once the fridge goes as well I might get a Miele one (if we see a decent offer).

Got a W5872 from PeterTyson and it arrives tomorrow. After cashback and extra warranty it worked out £1k with 10 years warranty. I suppose that will put our mind at rest for a while.

You know that feeling you get when you forget your mobile at home? Well it is even worse when your washing machines breaks down and you have 3 young kids:D

Well, the machine was delivered and has been used for nearly two weeks now and I am very impressed. Some people say that the looks of a Miele are a bit old fashioned but with the W5000 range this is certainly not true. I never thought that I would say this about a washing machine but it really is stunning. Simplistic and clean lines accompanied by the green and yellow lights of the start button and the display screen do the trick very nicely. It feels sturdy in build quality and I have never had a washing machine that is so quiet even on 1600 rpm spin. And true to superb German engineering the machine features so many washing options and extras. You can customise it to your heart's content. There is also an option for more extra washing programmes to be added on to it. Although the manual says that this can only be done from one of Miele engineers by downloading these programmes to the machine through their computer that they connect to it. I haven't figured out if this comes at an extra charge or not but I will give Miele a call to find out.

Overall Miele stand true to their reputation and this machine is a truly superb machine which I am sure I will enjoy using for many years to come.

Well, the machine was delivered and has been used for nearly two weeks now and I am very impressed. Some people say that the looks of a Miele are a bit old fashioned but with the W5000 range this is certainly not true. I never thought that I would say this about a washing machine but it really is stunning. Simplistic and clean lines accompanied by the green and yellow lights of the start button and the display screen do the trick very nicely. It feels sturdy in build quality and I have never had a washing machine that is so quiet even on 1600 rpm spin. And true to superb German engineering the machine features so many washing options and extras. You can customise it to your heart's content. There is also an option for more extra washing programmes to be added on to it. Although the manual says that this can only be done from one of Miele engineers by downloading these programmes to the machine through their computer that they connect to it. I haven't figured out if this comes at an extra charge or not but I will give Miele a call to find out.

Overall Miele stand true to their reputation and this machine is a truly superb machine which I am sure I will enjoy using for many years to come.

Isn't that one the best part of 3 grand!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I have bought the washing machine, dryer and diswasher, about £1500 each but I'm hoping they will last 20 years.
They are also quiet which was the main reason for buying Miele.

I would always recommend Miele. We have 3 of their ovens, hob, extractor, dishwasher, washing machine, dryer and I even think Hoover is Miele. You pay for reliability and customer service. Over its lifetime there isn't much of a difference in price vs inferior product that needs replacing several times. View it as an investment in reducing stress :)

100% in agreement about Miele, their stuff is expensive, but very very good.

My fridge, vacuum cleaner, tumble drier and washing machine are all Miele, and each one of them works fantastic.

Word of advice, don't try and lift a Miele washing machine on its own though. Miele use cast iron in the machine instead of concrete, so the buggers weigh about 100kg.

My Miele washing machine has just broken down after 11 years, unfortunate because it had a 10 year guarantee. I called out the Miele technician (cost £75), who told me that it would cost over £1000 to repair!

So basically, it's beyond economic repair and I'm extremely annoyed - especially when Miele claim in their own advertising that you should expect 20 years out of one.

It had low hours on it too, only two of us in the household, and the tech commented on this.

My Miele washing machine has just broken down after 11 years, unfortunate because it had a 10 year guarantee. I called out the Miele technician (cost £75), who told me that it would cost over £1000 to repair!

What was the problem?

My Mum has an old AEG which is on its last legs and I've been looking into new washing machines and the Miele range does sound great BUT I can just hear my cheapskate dad saying "why spend so much money when you can get one for £300ish"

Anyway I can get the W5782 for £995 with Currys trade in offer and it's 5 year warranty or the W5780 for £900.....or I can keep my dad happy and get a £300 machine that will probably breakdown in 2 years...decisions.

My Mum has an old AEG which is on its last legs and I've been looking into new washing machines and the Miele range does sound great BUT I can just hear my cheapskate dad saying "why spend so much money when you can get one for £300ish"

Anyway I can get the W5782 for £995 with Currys trade in offer and it's 5 year warranty or the W5780 for £900.....or I can keep my dad happy and get a £300 machine that will probably breakdown in 2 years...decisions.

I think I'd only buy a Miele if it had a definite 10 year warranty and not 5 year. Story above shows how Miele did not address a problem outside warranty.

There are other machines with 5 year warranty that cost half of the Miele, I went with a Siemens for this reason.

Yeah I might have to look for an alternative...I sense household argument about ££ coming

Well you generally get what you pay for with domestic appliances.

My Indesit washing machine has recently died after 7 years, which works out at less than £1 a week; So not bad really. The 'spider' in the rear of the machine just sheared off the central spindle because it's made of the same lousy die-cast metal that Matchbox cars use. The same thing happened to my parents' Indesit after roughly the same period.

Miele machine can last a long time. I've spoken to owners who've had them well over 20 years & swear by them. If they're a bit plain looking, that's because Germans don't usually have washing machines in their kitchen, because they regard that as unhygienic. They are kept in a utility room or basement where they're not on show.

Was about to push the button on W5872 from John Lewis Bank Holiday but then went out for drinks and forgot lol
Well their price is back upto £1099 so I was looking around and found Appliance City selling it for £999.

Goggling Appliance City trying to see if the're good company as I get £50 cash back, 1.5% (£15) Quidco and the 10Yr warranty from Miele.

I have moved over to totally Miele.

I got a dryer second hand and it is excellent.

The fridge/freezer is ok. Not significantly better than it's contemporaries though, although it is about nine years old, so a bit unfair to compare it with todays offerings.

John Lewis used to offer the extended warranty on them occasionally. My preference is to buy the very cheapest of the best brand. Less to go wrong and still the same quality.

So far, I seem to have been lucky. I did have to clean the pipes on the washing machine as it all clogged up. Hard water and power seem to have conspired agains it, but only the once and now used a liquid detergent. The same would likely happen to any machine.

Huge thumbs up from me.

Why buy a Miele fridge? When a Miele unit is just an over priced lesser quality liebherr unit ? Rebadged for Miele. Liebherr save their better quality units for their own.

Definitely Miele. Our Washing Machine is still going strong 14years on, and we are a large family of 7 so it's had a lot of abuse over the years!

Just got a new Miele dryer and always had Miele Dishwashers.

have had a miele washer for 22 years - love it. Still going strong. Need to replace the Miele dryer - it only lasted 15 years! Just wondering if you get fluffy towels from a miele washer/dryer? Also what about the heat pump version - does that fluff towels like the condensing ones do? As you can tell I'm only really interested in making sure my towels are fluffy. Got used to the washing line for everything else! Be great to hear your advice!

I bought a Miele heat pump dryer last year to replace a standard Bosch dryer. The Miele is terrific, and doesn't overly 'dry out' fabrics. When taking clothes out of the Miele you initially wonder if they are dry enough, but within a couple of minutes of removing them they are perfectly dry.

I bought a Miele heat pump dryer last year to replace a standard Bosch dryer. The Miele is terrific, and doesn't overly 'dry out' fabrics. When taking clothes out of the Miele you initially wonder if they are dry enough, but within a couple of minutes of removing them they are perfectly dry.
The perfect dry setting is usally OK but some heavy fabrics can come out ready for ironing so very slightly damp. It's a great machine and hopefully will last many years and save on energy.

We purchased our first miele in 1992 model was W916 lasted 17 years had a short break away from miele but decided to invest in a WSP 5964 with free 10 year guarantee for free.
All I can say is not as solid as the old model every thing is thinner lighter ie the gauge of metal in chassis is thinner the thickness of the door glass is thinner and at 1600 rpm the door vibrates.There is a fix for this a shim that fits behind the door lock we have decided when the 10 years is up the next machine will not be a miele as the price does not reflect build quality.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom