1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to me re spl

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Apr 6, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thank you for reply master volume lowest setting is -70db do you mean leave volume at lowest setting adjust test tone output to speakers to read -75db on meter i thought you adjust test tone output from each speaker to read -75db on meter meter should point upwards at 45degrees not directly at speakers do i ignore the settings of the funtion knob eg dvd dts etc thank you

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in,

There are a few ways to set speakers to reference level.

1) Use the amps test tone.......Go into set up menu and select speaker levels, select manual, set spl metre, left front is first adjust level by turning down/up the speakers volume with the down/up arrow key on the remote so it reads 75db on spl, then select the centre do as above, repeat for all speakers untill they all read 75db, as i recall you have no sub.

2) Amps test tone but with master volume.....select T/T when tone comes from the F/L turn down master volume till you have 75db reading on the spl, then select remaining speakers and adjust all other settings using the remotes up/down buttons.

3) Amps volume but with a test disc, same as above but with a test disc in the DVD player, this is probally the most accurate way,
    you can find THX optimiser on some R1/R2 discs i you have any, Pearl harbour R2 has one on. You will have to be quick with this one as the T/T on the disc are very quick.

hope this helps......

bob

3. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks bob007.
    Got it mick23. Dont worry about what it says on the front of the amp. Just adjust the volume so that it reads 75db on the SPL meter when you get a test tone from the left or right front speakers. Set all the other speakers to the same level by altering there individual channel volumes. Do not alter the master volume setting once the left and right front has been adjusted. 45 degrees yes. In the best viewing possition in the room. Remember that you will probably have more than one viewing possition. Do not do multiple readings and settings. Just set the SPL in the center spot. HCC has some good articles on setting up speakers for home cinema. Let me know what you think of the Denon when it is up and running?
    Mark

4. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i cleared all settings set master volume on amp fully left ,ran test tones set all speakers to -75db on meter this should now be correct, i was not sure where the what the master volume had to be set at initially does not state in manual, re the denon i bought the 3802 because it has good sterio quality in relation to my yamaha a5 which was good for av use but not to my liking for cds etc, what speakers are you using as fronts my mordaunt shorts are a bit ancient now could do with new speakers what camn you suggest will now get back to using 3802

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mick23,

You don't have to touch the master volume, when you select the test tone amp goes to default setting which is 00db.

6. Placebo2

Placebo2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,
    Stupid question alert!!
    Does using a SPL meter to set-up your system, make a difference to the sound? I've just done it by ear! Convince me!

Cheers,
    John

7. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mick23. There are lots of very good speaker systems that you can buy, and I am sure that there are many on this and the speaker forum that can recommend a variety of speakers to use with the Denon. All of my speakers are Home made and designed to use with whichever amp I am using in whatever environment.

Pacebo2. Only answer to that question is buy or borrow a SPL meter and find out. If you have exception bat like hearing you should have no problem.If you have spent far to many years riding motorbike very fast like me then your hearing maybe some what impared.
    Mark

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes a spl metre will improve the sound of your system in that all levels will be spot on, very hard to do by ear especially trying to set db level to 75db (reference level), i found that when i set mine by spl metre some channels were out by +/- 1-3db.

9. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Interesting point about does it really make a difference. I set mine up by ear, then after a few weeks got an SPM. I then set it up correctly and yes, some channels were off, although not by much. Does it sound better now? I can't tell the difference, but at least I know it's right, I guess it all depends on how good your ears are at setting it up in the 1st place :D

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you can set them buy ear but the hardest thing is to set to the reference level of 75db, all channels should be spot on but i think its the actual db level that is the icing on the cake.

When i first set my levels before i heard anything about reference levels i used the amps test tone, on the denon it goes to default of 00db which equates to 88db (test tone) from the speakers i run, so i set it from there, then when i knew about how to set them more precisley i reset at 75db the difference was very noticable, especially in the bass department.

So yes, you can set them by ear to a degree but to get the db level to 75db you gonna need a spl metre.