To Madrid with a point & shoot

Discussion in 'Photo Sharing' started by Tobers, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Haven't posted for a while. Whilst not overly keen on the new board format, I thought I might as well get on with it and stop being a luddite.

Anyway, I had yet another business trip to Madrid earlier this week. I've been pondering buying a replacement for my ageing Panasonic TZ3. The lens cover on the TZ3 is kaput and wont retract reliablly, which seems like a good-enough reason to buy a new compact. I've narrowed it down to a LX3 or a G10, but may wait to see what PMA 2009 brings in March.

As part of this I wanted to see if I was still keen on using a compact point & shot, and just to remid myself what sort of shots I could take with it. Hence pocketing it for my trip to Madrid rather than taking my 1D and a couple of lenses which always makes things a bit tricky with restricted hand luggage. The beauty of this is that I could have the camera in my pocket and whisk it out at any moment should a photo-opp arrive.

So here goes:

#1 Air bridge at Gatwick
    [​IMG]

#2 Reflections on arrival at Madrid's really cool airport
    [​IMG]

#3 Inside Madrid airport - somewhat slicker than Gatwick
    [​IMG]

#4 The shuttle train from the outlying terminal to the main building. I think I used the "fireworks" setting for this. The TZ3 has no manual settings so its a bit of guesswork to figure out what the various scene modes do.
    [​IMG]

#5 There's a lot of cool lighting in Madrid airport. Here's an example
    [​IMG]

#6 And another. Amazing 30m high vertical LED scrolling banners everywhere.
    [​IMG]

#7 And so onto my hotel. I picked a rather cool boutique/designer hotel and it was rather wild...
    [​IMG]

#8 ...and the bedroom was bonkers. My colleague's room was bright orange and yellow.
    [​IMG]

#9 Time for beer and food, but money first. As it happens, my wallet was nicked on the metro/tube from the airport into Madrid - some lowlife scum lifted it from my pocket on a v.crowded train, so my colleague paid for everything. No money lost, just a load of credit cards which I stopped within 5 mins of the theft with no new transactions on them. Phew...
    [​IMG]

#10 Tapas!!!! Found a superb tapas bar with the most delicious grub on offer. Just gorgeous food. Soooooo tasty and moderately cheap.
    [​IMG]

#11 Another bar - a bit moorish this one. It didn't look like a bar from the outside, just a big wooden door. Great inside though. Just grazed crisps & nuts in here
    [​IMG]

#12 Another bar. Moving to black & white now as it suits the subject quite nicely. My beer, my fresh olives, my barman. Great place just by the opera house. I had some iberian ham on bread with olive oil.
    [​IMG]

#13 Yet another bar. Tiny place, very friendly, with carrot cake as dessert.
    [​IMG]

#14 I did actually have to do some work. This is the inside of our HQ office. The whole place has a fantastically amazing design, all angles, lines, not a curve anywhere. I'd been after this shot for some time but kept forgetting to take it on previous visits, or I had my 1D in my bag etc etc. This time, I just popped the TZ3 out whilst waiting for the lift and snapped it. I like the lines and the 3 people, also in a line.
    [​IMG]

So, my conclusions. The high ISO performance of the TZ3 and most other compacts is pants due to the pixel density on a tiny sensor. HOWEVER, I wouldn't have got many of these shots with the 1D as I wouldn't have had it out ready, or would have just left it in the hotel. I dont really care that the IQ isn't the greatest. Instead I really like the feeling that these photos get across. I'd sort of forgotten about that, having instead been focused on nailing the perfect sharp sports shot with my uber Canon. Note all have been processed in Lightroom using the "direct positive" preset and some vignetting, or the "low contrast" mono preset.

So, yes a new compact will be on its way soon - just have to choose which one. By the way I lost a whole stack of shots due to the TZ3's lens cover not opening fully. Justification indeed!

Toberssssssssssssss

2. mark1000

mark1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    Very interesting shots, just goes to show, it doesn't matter what gear you have, its the photographer not the camera.

Really liked the train slow shutter shot the best.

Mark.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Great set Tobers! Loved looking at them all!
    You've got a great eye for photos which I would miss completely (the bars/cafes especially).
    I wish Photoshop had some friendly pp presets like this. The pp on 1, 2 and 14 work particularly well.

Thanks for sharing! (I don't like the new layout either).

4. fresh27

fresh27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Interesting pictures.

You've got a great eye.. :cool:

5. lovelldr

lovelldr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +148
    The new layout just goes to show how quite it's getting in these forums from now... Is a shame, as was really busy in here before.

Great pictures, just a shame that some of these don't turn out as good as the usual set of pics we expect from you...

#10 & #14 were my favs from this...

6. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    An excellent photographic record of your journey Tobers, very enjoyable to see, Ta:smashin:

7. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    You probably have had the camera nicked as well!

Lovely lines but my preference are the B&W bar shots. :smashin:

8. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Great to see you back; there's a lot of people who don't like the new forum layout now but it seems to be a done deal.

A brilliant, imaginative set of pictures full of energy, and demonstrate how liberating using a compact may be. Absolute quality matters not a jot when the images are this good. Picture #5 is simply outstanding.

Cheers, Malcolm

9. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Well it cant be that quiet on here - plenty of responses in a relatively short time for which I thank you unreservedly. Maybe there's just lots of people lurking and not many initiating discussions?

I'm a bit enthused after my little sojourn back into the world of pocket cameras. It really helped me to look for lines, shapes, angles etc so I reckon continuing will really help me to see shots and help my other photography as well. It's so easy to get stuck in a rut.

10. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Nice to see good old madrid. Seems nothing has changed at the airport either. Seems they are still aiming at the english flights for cards and wallets.

I think your story telling is something that many of us lack. This for me makes this stand out.

I think pocket cameras are fun it also helps when you have the right environment to walk around.

A bit of noise and some out me focus and away you go. Cracking colours and far different to the last set. Was that last year ?

11. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Yep - I did a set on the head office last year - all gray lines & angles, plus some doodling around the town centre. I think I had my 30D. Seems a long time ago!

12. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Madrid is a great city, but the locals tend to be a bit light fingered. I have had my video camcorder and mobile phone nicked in Madrid on seperate occasions.

Great photos, captured the vibe of the place perfectly. That T4 of Barajas airport is a very impressive place, got a few snaps in there myself, but I like yours better.

13. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Nice set Tobers. And it was quite interesting to read about your [-]Spanish cuisine[/-] Business Trip! :D

The third one stands out for me as I like the depth it has. Very well composed.

14. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant set mate but that last one is outdstanding:smashin:

15. ryanyboy

ryanyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great set of pics Tobers and thanks ever so for giving us a few hints on your processing - I'm yet to get to grips with lightroom but having seen your great pictures I'm tempted to give it another go.

I think my fave of the bunch is the picture of the legs moving across the really colourful lighting. Great image (as they all are). :smashin:

Oh, and good to see your still here :)

All the best

Ryan

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
  17. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Yes :D

18. Garf

Garf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +524
    Very inspiring set - along with iandrews comp entry, just goes to show it's not always the camera - the photography itself is the thing.

I often think about bringing my camera to work (and do at weekends sometimes), but during the week it's not the best idea to get a DSLR out in the Square Mile - too many over zealous security guards\officers of the law, and I get a bit self conscious.

This has made me think about dusting off my old Casio P&S and taking that into work for a crack - might be fun..

Great set of photos..:thumbsup:

19. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Completely agree. These are great, got a really good feel to them too.

20. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Thanks! It does help to train the "eye" to see stuff actually. I'll be doing some more of the same.