1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To kef of not to kef......?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jumpt_upmunky, Jul 28, 2003.

1. jumpt_upmunky

jumpt_upmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi,
    After reading the usual magazines I'm looking for some advice regarding the kef 2005.2 speaker set.

I've got a denon 2802 and a HK DVD25.

I'm currently running Mordaunt Short MS20i's as front left and right (richer sounds special) and a paradigm center not sure of the model but it was about £100 (once again from richer sounds) and my rear surrounds are just some old tannoy's and no sub.

Mainly watch action films and room is 12ft x 20ft

I can probably spend up to about £800 on a speaker set so would the kefs be a good choice?

any advice would be appreciated.

Ta

2. SPYTHON

SPYTHON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for £800 - I would probably try and get the egg's on their own (i.e no sub) - I think the price to expect to pay for 5 eggs is around £400-£450

then try to get a more cappable sub (i.e CHT 10) from the power buys forum.....

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The KEF Eggs would be a fairly good choice. The subwoofer has been beefed up from the older version and is now considerably better.

Another alternative to consider is the JB Labs Sib & Cub setup which is available discounted to £649 here

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Are you set on getting little satellites? Why not move the MS20i's to the rear and get another set of Kef's: Q1's with matching centre and then a nice sub (perhaps the Velodyne Spython mentioned). £800 all in. Should spank the Eggs and similar setups.

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Creative Audio will do 5x mk2 eggs for £399 or 7x mk2 eggs for £549!!

:D

6. jumpt_upmunky

jumpt_upmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the input guys,
    Well I was all set to shift my ms20i's to the rear, and get hold of some kef q1's and a centre (not sure which would be best though, is it better to have the same brand as the front left and right?) and a cht-10.

but anyway what hi-fi came out today and said the 2005.2 eggs are the mutt's nuts! Dilemma!

7. jumpt_upmunky

jumpt_upmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    well Operation Confusion has stepped up a level.

Just been on the phone to audio-t

He says upgrading the ms20i's to q1's wouldn't make a massive amount of difference.

One upgrade path he suggested would be to invest in some decent (he mentioned some expensive sounding names) floorstanders with a matching center and not too bother with a subwoofer?

In fact he seemed to say that cheap subwoofers such as the cht-10 (not that cheap to me!) aren't worth it, does anyone agree or disagree?

but he did say that proper sized speakers would trounce sat/sub speaker sets (kef eggs etc)

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Another dealer talking rubbish. :rolleyes: There are NO floorstanders in your (or mine, around £600) price-range that can compete with a decent sub (eg. CHT-10) for films! They do not go as low as a good sub. A sub is essential to get the full range of sound from a DVD IMO.

Many people prefer standmounters to floorstanders too. More speaker for your bucks by buying the smaller version, etc.

Incidently, which floorstanders did he recommend?

9. jumpt_upmunky

jumpt_upmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    He mentioned B&W 603's

If he's talking rubbish about the sub, does it follow that upgrading my ms20i's to Q1's WOULD be an improvement?:confused:

OK now I'm thinking about sticking with what I've got and investing in a cht-10.

unless someone can suggest a killer front left, right and centre combo?

10. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    The 603's only really come into their own for Music, I have them as fronts, but for movies, they are set to 'small' to integrate better with the sub and the other smaller speakers in the setup, which really makes them 602's... but for music, I set them to large, they really add that tight and punchy bass that the sub just can't handle, and the sub is there just for the really low stuff.. this sounds much more controlled for music...

I think the two improvements you can make would be better tonal matching and a sub, and the sub/sat looks a good upgrade that would give you a much noticeable difference..

I would however demo the 2005.2 against some of their rivals... like the B+W VM1's and the Sib/Cub JML package... I think they sound very different, and I think you need to know which sound better to you...

My own personal preference would be a CHT-10 and 5 VM1's... over the 2005.2 package... since I just find the KEF's a little harsh for my ears.
    And even then depending on how much you expect from a sub, their are alternatives to the CHT-10...