1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To keep or not to keep..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Grumpy, Sep 10, 2005.

?
  1. Yes.

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No I'm going for the one box solution.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm just curious to know how many people on here are planning to keep their existing dvd player and run it alongside whatever new HD machine they opt for (whenever that will be..).
    My take on it is that generally speaking things are worth so little second hand that I'd be best off keeping my Arcam for my existing collection and simply using the new player for the HD material. There is of course the small matter of ending up with a more impressive pie of kit too :D

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I would be in no doubt that whatever comes along will be backward compatible. In effect you would just have 2 dvd players with the later one capable of doing everything the earlier one can. It would be pointless keeping both...

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    just like DVD player are so good at playing CDs so we all ditched CD players ........
    These things aren't even here yet, and they won't be for quite a while and we are making judgement calls as to their quality, how?

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I intend to keep my DVD player for a good while yet. I never have been an early adopter of new technology and tend to wait till all the hype dies down and whatever the new technology has had it's respective "bugs" (if any) sorted out.
    There is also the question of cost, most of, if not all new tech is costly and I like to wait (patient man me !!), till the market place is flooded with it and the price wars bring down the costs.
    Take my first DVD player....Philips DVD-710....What a piece of utter **** compared to what you can buy now. I paid roughly £300.00 for it, and now you can get a £30.00 "supermarket special" that has more features, and will most likely usually out perform it.
    So in answer to your question, when the time comes (maybe some time for me), then maybe yes, I will probably make the move to HD-DVD, BLU-RAY, HD-TV or whatever is on the horizon, but I will wait till it has matured and established itself before I commit myself to it.

TTFN,
    Graham

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have been pursuing a one box solution since my adoption of DVD some years back, and while the results were disappointing to start with, we are now getting decent results from budget players. No one is asking for audiophile quality, those that are will no doubt pay lots for their one box solutions or stick with separates. Nothing wrong with speculating.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    No one is talking audiophile here, speculation is fine, talking about it all is fine what I object to is the hundreds on comments on quality of said devices we get on this site when:

Most commenting have never seen HD let alone lived with it
    They have no idea what HD is (see all the muppets who think upscaling is HD)
    There are NO dates for even the release of these first devices in fact the situation changes daily
    The final standard hasn't been set for the final product yet.
    Does the required chipsets even exist for these devices yet? Bits only as we stand

but we have an assumption that all will better with everything, CD, DVD etc and all the backward compatible devices will be better. It has never been like that in the past.

The bottom line is WE DON'T KNOW anything about these devices really at the moment, speculation is fine but lets leave it at that speculation.

My speculation is not everything will be backward compatible :) Or is that informed :smashin:

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think the biggest influence on what I keep and don't keep may come down to connectivity. Unless my next PJ comes with both DVI and HDMI!

Switchers are still expensive, and AV amps that can cope are still at the esoteric end of the scale.

Either way, the more I read the more it looks like I won't be concerning myself with HD for at least 12 months and perhaps even longer...PJ :)