1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To keep or not to keep?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Tezdread, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I currently have a Grundig GS200/1 Sky Digibox as my only source, I'm looking to buy another reciever from ebay and was wondering if it's worth keeping hold of my current one and using it in my bedroom or to get rid of it.

What are my options?

I have seen / heard that there are controlers so you can change channels from another room so I was thinking that if I put the old box in my bedroom and kept the new one downstairs it would give me the feed into both rooms, then I would need to find one of these multi room channel changers?

If this is feasible, what cables / accessories would I need? and what sort of price would I be looking at?

Thanks

2. Steve999

Steve999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Checkout this page - http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page3.htm - lots of choice.
    I have bought a couple of Triax digilink's off ebay recently at a fiver each and they work well. Do a search under 'magic eye'.

You'll need some coax (or sat cable) long enough to go room to room with appropriate connectors at either end. If you want to pass the cable through walls, then you'll need a 10mm masonry drill bit 40cm long about £7 unless you can borrow one.

I did the same job for my daughter earlier this week and the whole thing costs about a tenner.

Incidentally, you only need one digibox to do this! Take the feed off the RF2 on the back of the digibox and take it to your second telly in your bedroom.

If you do buy a second digibox, then you don't need the magic eye stuff, just a twin or quad LNB to enable feed to both boxes from the dish.

Steve.

3. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    The triax ones are good yep, just don't forget to pick up an F connector aswell ;)

4. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, got a few questions about this but will get back online later

5. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided to go for a second refurb'ed digibox partly because my big old black grundig looks out of place so it's going to get replaced anyhow.

I am a little confused over the LNB connector though and couldn't seem to find much info to help me understand what it does. What I do understand is that it allows me to connect to different recievers.

Does it allow me to watch different channels on each of the recivers?
    How complicated is it to setup and where does it go? (are there any How To's)

From the info I could find, I'm guessing that the two digiboxes will work independently therefore two different channels available (for twin output) I'm also guessing that this is the more complicated option but does it require getting up a ladder to connect it to the dish?

6. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, is there any chance of pointing me in the right direction to get info on this?
    cheers

7. Steve999

Steve999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry about the delay - wrote a reply the other day but my machine crashed as I was about to file it!

You will need to buy a twin or quad LNB to replace the single LNB on your dish at the moment. Assuming that you have a Sky minidish, the old LNB slides off the arm after disconnecting the cable and you simply slide the new one on and screw the 'f'plug cable connector back on. The cable to your additional digibox will attach to the LNB in similar fashion. Dependant upon the height of your dish, you will more than likely need to go up a ladder to do this! Some minor adjustment of the dish or LNB skew angle may be necessary but you may be lucky & not need to do this.

Quad LNB's are pretty cheap now and can be obtained from eBay for about £15. The base market is Thomson, Raven and Skyware units.

To buy an LNB look here - http://***********/7l5st - and search on 'quad'
    You will get cable - CT100 - or similar, plus 'f'plugs from a local Radio/TV store or a DIY supermarket such as B&Q.

Good luck,
    Steve

8. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Steve, posted again so it wasn't lost...appreciate your help :thumbsup:

It doesn't sound to complicated as long as I've got the rights parts. I believe it is a Sky Minidish, it was Sky engineers that installed anyhow. Looking at the cable routing I think I'm going to have to drill another hole through the front wall so will have to be carful not to mess that part up :eek:

So assuming the fitting / cable routing / other adjustments to dish / LNB, I plug the new cable into the back of the second receiver, will I finally be able watch a different channel from each receiver? Sorry if this is obvious, just need to get it confirmed before spending cash... ;)

9. Steve999

Steve999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Yes you will be able to use each digibox completely independently of each other. Note that if you buy a quad LNB (good value at the moment), then you can connect 4 digiboxes all to work independently of each other. I use a Thomson - works fine and has a neat little plastic sleeve that covers the 'f'plug connectors once they are installed.

Assuming your cable route is not problematical and your dish is accessible, it's an easy job.

Make sure however, that both boxes can not be seen by one remote at the same time!

Steve

10. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your help Steve...I guess I'll be back here when I have the parts and start working on it :)
    and then again when I can't get it to work :rolleyes:

11. Steve999

Steve999
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hope somebody else will be available to help. I'm going away for a couple of months from tomorrow (Tues).

Good luck,
    Steve

12. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    something else just came to mind...Am i right in thinking that the second box doesn't need a viewing card? Or does it? if it does, where do I get one from?

thanks