1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Jm Premier

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Vince M, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a courtesy,Thought I would answer your question regards tube shots.

I have seen wear on crt`s with only 300ish hours if they have had a computer signal through them.(Normally the green.).

It is not unusual for a green tube to show a little wear after 1,000hrs IF the input -or one of the inputs has been p.c.

To my mind,the hours can be a nonsense,for example you can have a high hour crt that has been re-tubed that puts up a better pic than a low hour original.Though I tend to prefer low hour originals with great tubes.

Also,there could have been situations where the hours have been altered for whatever reason.This is why its key to look at the tubes.

The history is also important to make sense of the hours,how its been used etc.

The difficulty comes with photos of tube shots,sometimes you can only see wear under certain light conditions,but the reality Is If you cannot see any wear on a whitescreen you are not going to see it in your picture.

But If its a second hand crt of course there is wear -maybe not apparent -but there all the same.

The crt ratings are Intended as a guide & I have found using this criteria any wear 8 and over will not show up on a whitescreen-so whether a crt tube is an 8,8.5 or a 9 there is little -If any noticable difference on a whitescreen & little point in arguing the toss about whether It is an 8 or 9.

Either is good enough and the determination of whether It is an 8/9 subjective.

An Important factor Is that the wear is spread even across the tube faces.

I think history Is very important to know with a crt purchase,How Its been used in the past? Was It used for 16:9? p.c.? Knowing the history and asking the right questions allows you to build up a picture of what the crt could be like,what the tubes could be like.

Most crt`s I have seen out of computer companies in the past have taken a battering on the green.

Red tubes always seem o.k. Blue tends to take a hit If the crt has been used for video.

2. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was unaware that the tube would show signs of wear to make it rated '8' after 1000 hours of normal use (surely suggesting 'pc' use would show signs of banners rather than raster burn!).
    I am a novice in the area of crt projectors and will bow to your wisdom and experience....... BUT........ I have been an electronic engineer since 1983 (apprenticeship started in 1979) and been an electronics hobbyist since I was about 9 years old, seeing the pictures of your 'workshop/warehouse' with the circuit boards in the background I can honestly and proffesionally say that your workshop practices do not stand up to the standards that you imply your bussiness adheres too (maybe you are from the era of vacuum valves when static was not an issue).
    I will say though that I cannot judge you on this one picture.
    I also cannot compete with your debating skills, that is why this post is only a response and comment, and as the mod said said in the thread you are refering to this is going round in circles, we should not lower this forum to a place where members just attack other members. The ethos of this forum is to give help and advice to other members and not to ridicule other members or their companies, I don't know you, don't know your company, have never bought or sold anything from or to you. You only brought abuse to yourself because you 'attacked' others (maybe unintentially), maybe you should have posted advice like "look at this", "watch out for that", "NEC's have this problem".... etc
    Take time to read posts from members of these forums that have bussiness intrests in CRT (Gordon and Roland for example) none of these attack members nor do they ridicule people for making 'wrong' decissions on what they buy, they give advice on how to remedy their problems and get the pj up and running, none of them imply 'buy my products/services' because everybody else is a 'POS'(your description).
    I am not going to reply to this thread as really we should not be discussing it as the original thread was shut.
    I just hope the mods dont frown on me for replying to you, as I expect they may not be too happy for you effectively opening a thread that was closed.

John

John

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The tube that is used the most will burn first.
    Computor companies don't just use green pictures and only a few of us just watch blue movies. ;)

4. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jm,
    I`m sorry but you asked me a question,I answered It to the best of my ability.I`m not the one making criticisms of you so why the lecture? If you cannot judge me on one picture why mention?

As far as standards Implied etc..Did I ever say I had a state of the art electronics lab?..I wish.

As far as attacking anyone or ridiculing anyone for their buying decision-I haven`t done that? Iv`e tried to help and advise-If you have misconstrued thats your problem.

5. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I thought that Blue tube on that Barco I saw looked used! :D :D

6. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Roland - ROTFL!!! :laugh: Just off to check the PJ before bed...