1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To iDTV or not to iDTV?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kolabere, Apr 29, 2005.

1. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was taking to a sales guy (Loewe/Sharp) at the weekend about the advantages/disadvantages of buying a new iDTV set. His recommendation was not to, that it was better to buy a separate freeview box and Bluetack it to the back of the TV - in fact he had done this for a customer recently. His arguement related to 'eggs in baskets' and future proofing.

Anyone like to comment on the wisdom or otherwise of this suggestion?

As a recent purchaser of an Elonex Artisan (Digital tuners) I am still aghast at the lack of:
    FM Radio;
    Digital Text;
    Interactive Button.
    All features I wrongly 'assumed' I was getting - :lesson: never assume nuffing!

I am new looking for a new TV (max 28" - space limitations) and will think twice, nay thrice, before making my decision. Naturally, I want all the above features in whatever model I now decide upon - current front iDTV runner Philips DW6559 or should it be the Freeview box and some Bluetack.

Your thoughts most welcome :lease: .

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,936
    I would go for the separate DVB box.
    Be aware according to another thread the Philips DW6559 does not output RGB from the Digital tuner.....the manual states you can only record Digital from it's AV2 scart and is composite only......a MAJOR drawback :lesson:

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kolabere,

I reiterate Jaycee's remarks, go for the separate box.

On page 2 of this section of the forums (televisions etc.) Daved posted a thread "Philips Contrast+ setting" and the problems that causes. I am a fan of Philips tvs myself, having been fortunate enough to receive a good example of my model, not the idtv DW6559 mentioned. If you are only using it to view one source it may be fine but the lack of RGB from the digital tuner is unfortunate too.

Very few televisions seem to incorporate FM radio, apart from a few Philips models. It might be difficult to find one with all the features you require, Good Luck!

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd get a Sony - their IDTVs are well supported, also buy a Humax PVR as well for recording TV, or a Sony ?X500 DVD recorder

5. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto to what Martin said, go for an integrated digital TV and an integrated DV recorder.

That talk of future proofing with a set-top box is utter b******s, BTW. The hardware and software in a set-top box is no more future proof than an IDTVs and yes, of course you can swap out the set-tox in a couple of years but you can also add one to any IDTV because they all have scart sockets!

(It's also strange to hear that anti-IDTV stuff from someone who sells Sharp because IDTV is their new policy - on a recent trip to Barcelona all the Sharp TVs I saw above 30" had integrated digital tuners, and Spain's only got a handful of digital channels.)

But anyway, I have a first generation IDTV and the core functions of the TV - the picture and sound - are as fantastic now as they were the day I bought it. I use my Humax PVR8000T for recording and MHEG interactive stuff, like BBCi, so in no way do I regret having an integrated digital solution.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well my TV has only one RGB Scart so having an internal RGB Digital tuner is great.

Mine is a direct equivalent of the first generation Ondodgy boxes, guess which tuner is still supported, gives a better picture and is a little quicker with BBCi.

Yes the TV

7. avio

avio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Panasonic TX32DTX40 IDTV plus a goodmans digibox connected to it and both pictures are excellent quality. Only use the digibox if I'm recording the digital channel on telly as it's easier using the telly and it's remote for everything.
    Go for the integrated!!!!!!!

8. kolabere

kolabere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Seem to have started a nice little discussion here, thanks all :smashin: .

I should have emphasised in my original post that I am striving more for a 'minimalist' approach, hence the Media Centre - gone are the VHS, DVD player, CD player and radio tuner separates and all their wires :cool: .

The mistake I made was thinking the digital tuners in the Media Centre would do the same job as an iDTV or a digibox.

From what most people have been saying it looks like I might need to find something else to do with that pack of Bluetack.