To Humax or not ?

mousecatia

Standard Member
I have been away from the UK for 6 weeks :thumbsdow and fully intended to go and buy the 9200t Humax tomorrow.
It seems that I may have set my heart on something thats not really that good !
My VHS video:eek: blew up while I was away so now is truly an ideal time to get something new - ie a PVR.
I only want to record and playback, maybe burn a DVD of something really good occasionally and it has to be novice friendly.
Should I just pay up and look happy with the 9200 or pick something else ?

How does the "time padding" work ?, it would really tee me off if I kept missing the start/end of programmes.
Do you need to do this manually - like with a video recorder ?, or can you pre set it to start early/over run on every recording, and is it easy ?

Blimey, such a load of questions, I will wait for the tirade of pluses/minuses:)

R

rhoamish

I'm happy with mine. It isn't perfect, but it's far better than a video recorder, or even Sky+.

I've had very few problems with mine, and it's relatively easy to use. Once you're used to using a PVR, you'll wonder how on earth you used to manage without it!

M

Media_Man

mousecatia said:
I have been away from the UK for 6 weeks :thumbsdow and fully intended to go and buy the 9200t Humax tomorrow.
My VHS video:eek: blew up while I was away so now is truly an ideal time to get something new - ie a PVR.
I only want to record and playback, maybe burn a DVD of something really good occasionally and it has to be novice friendly.

How does the "time padding" work ?, it would really tee me off if I kept missing the start/end of programmes.
Do you need to do this manually - like with a video recorder ?, or can you pre set it to start early/over run on every recording, and is it easy ?

Blimey, such a load of questions, I will wait for the tirade of pluses/minuses:)

Do u need the twin tuners of the 9200? If you already have a Freeview box (like me) you may not need the twin tuner model. Then you could get away with buying the Humax 8000T (as i did recently) - a great single tuner PVR thats dead easy to use and even has 'chase play'. Its also available at around £120 online (try EmpireDirect) and is about as 'rock solid' (in terms of software/usability) as it gets with a PVR.

If you do need the twin tuners then maybe the latest Digifusion FVRT200 is also worth a look - as is the more expensive Topfield 5800.

Do a search on the above models and you will find a wealth of information on all of the above.

G Canavan

Standard Member
Sorry but I belive twin tuners is a must, the way progs are set to compete against each other so all the best stuff tends to be on at the same time.
I really don't know why people keep saying that the Topfield is expensive for what it does it's as cheap as chips.
I remember the wad of cash I had to hand over for my first video recorder and I'm sure I paid £400 for a PS2 when it came out.

M

Media_Man

G Canavan said:
Sorry but I belive twin tuners is a must, the way progs are set to compete against each other so all the best stuff tends to be on at the same time.
I really don't know why people keep saying that the Topfield is expensive for what it does it's as cheap as chips.
I remember the wad of cash I had to hand over for my first video recorder and I'm sure I paid £400 for a PS2 when it came out.

Sorry - but if you had read my post properly you would have realised i already have the (excellent) Sony D800 Freeview box - that in terms of Picture quality no PVR can match - so i use this to watch the majority of my TV and record stuff that clashes on the Humax 8000T.
So my point was that if the original poster already had a Freeview box he could do the same. You can even loop the second box through the Humax 8000T using the second scart connection - making it very easy to watch one and record on the other.

Just to clarify - I dont think the Topfield is expensive per se - just that its more expensive than all the other PVR's on the market. Its a good unit - which is why i recommended he consider it. :rolleyes:

mousecatia

Standard Member
Thanks for the replies so far.
I do not have a Freeview box at all, so the twin tuner option looks like the best one for me.
What is the problem with the 9200 (and others) cutting off or starting late on recordings ?, can you over ride it and if so, do you lose the EPG guide info on the index ?

Cheers,

Rich.

M

Media_Man

tdenson said:
Or, more commonly, you are out and there are two conlficting programs on.

Thats true of course - though i am starting to get the distinct impression that certain people on this forum (want to) watch a lot more TV than i do... ;) :)

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
The 9200 is, sadly, not as reliable as its much simpler 8000 sibling.

You can manually add minutes to timer recordings. But if you add at the start, it loses the correct name of the programme so your list of recordings is now wrong. The 8000 does this, too.

As it stands right now, if reliability of the software stack to do its primary function (which is, to record and play back everything you ask it to) then I'd say the Fusion FVRT200 and the Topfield TF5800 are the ones to look at. The Fusion does not freeze up and does not lose the programme name if you extend the timer (which is made extremely easy to do BTW).

The rest are not yet stable enough, and promises of future updates are, sadly, just promises. Past experience seems to suggest that software freeze-ups tend to take a LOT of versions to fix.

N

N.ick

Look at the INVERTO. It will allow you to automatically pad out start and end. EPG isn't lost when power down, has chase play, PIP. Is extremely quiet (fan only comes on when needed - in our case seemingly never). As with all of them has some bugs - but as with all of them being sorted! - and they are liveable with.

Only main problem is the remote response- ( but you get used to it!)

G Canavan

Standard Member
Sorry mate I'll remember to put in a smiley face next time, although I hought the humour was implyed :thumbsup:

M

Media_Man

LV426 said:
The 9200 is, sadly, not as reliable as its much simpler 8000 sibling.

You can manually add minutes to timer recordings. But if you add at the start, it loses the correct name of the programme so your list of recordings is now wrong. The 8000 does this, too.

As it stands right now, if reliability of the software stack to do its primary function (which is, to record and play back everything you ask it to) then I'd say the Fusion FVRT200 and the Topfield TF5800 are the ones to look at. The Fusion does not freeze up and does not lose the programme name if you extend the timer (which is made extremely easy to do BTW).

The rest are not yet stable enough, and promises of future updates are, sadly, just promises. Past experience seems to suggest that software freeze-ups tend to take a LOT of versions to fix.

I find adding time to the start of a programme is not often neccessary - as the broadcasters are rarely 'early' with their transmissions. They are often a few minutes late though - so starting the programme at the right time is usually ok. Padding the time at the end of the programme is often neccessary obviously - and doesnt affect the programme name either.

Arn't the Fusion PVR's a bit noisy ?? Dont their fans stay on all the time - if so this would drive me nuts !! I read that some people actually disconnect the fans on these units and seem to have got away with it...so far. Not sure they will when the summer comes though !!

The Toppy is a good unit though - especially if you like 'tweaking' - though pic quality is a bit soft - not unlike the Inverto.

M

Media_Man

G Canavan said:
Sorry mate I'll remember to put in a smiley face next time, although I hought the humour was implyed :thumbsup:

I'll let you off with a warning this time. :hiya: :rotfl:

I take it you use a Toppy? How you finding it ?

M

Media_Man

G Canavan said:
Best £300 spent EVER.

Yes - i can see you are a fan...lol...and that 'Black Panther' edition looks quite cool too !!

Have you added any 'Taps'?

If so did they affect the stability of the unit ?

M

Media_Man

G Canavan said:
Just Improbox,Jags and Quick jump.

Jags is the EPG isnt it?...Quick Jump is to skip ads i take it...what does Improbox do exactly? Are they stable ?

G Canavan

Standard Member
You know what ,I've had Improbox in so long I've forgotten why.
It's all pretty much rock like in it's stability, touch wood.

Altarf

Novice Member
As someone who has had a Humax 8000T for two years I almost bought a 9200, but bought a Toppy instead (250GB version for £260) and am VERY glad I did.

Out of the box the Toppy is fairly average, but with the addition of the replacement EPG MyStuff it is excellent. MyStuff allows you to input keywords that the machine will automatically match to program titles (customisable to day, time and channel) and then record the program. You can set it to automatically pad the program (either end) as much as you want and not loose the 'real' program name. The padding is also smart for adjoining programs. So now the broadcasters can move the programs around the schedule as much as they want and I no longer care. Now I only need to see if there are any new programs on each week as I know that the Toppy will take care of the 'old' ones.

The lack of chase play and the 20 program recording limit of the 9200 has the main things making me hesitate about buying a 9200. I know that Humax have promised to fix it, but I would sooner buy something that has the features now, rather than rely on promises. The falling price of the Toppy was the final deciding factor.

son_t

mousecatia said:

You must manually 'pad time' (yes like a VCR), i.e. add additional minutes to the start and/or end of each timer set via the EPG. Currently, doing this on the 9200T will lose the programme title when recording begins... The EPG info is maintained for all programmes recorded in the schedualled timer.

The Humax has many bugs which would spoil your experience of a PVR, but once you have bought it, they can be lived with. The one serious problem with the Hummy is the lost of all recordings bug which some users have experienced, which obviously isn't good. The 9200T was released in Oct 2005, a software update was released in November which fixed problems with the first set of machines shipped, but it still currently has many bugs and problems, which Humax are trying to solve and hope to release another update in April (or May or June, etc as the date keeps slipping).

What I would recommend you to do is to wait until the release of the second software update which promised to fix some of the bugs, and most importantly will fix the 'padding title' problem (and increase the number of schedual timers from 20 to 50), and then read up here (or on DS: http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=119) to find if most of the problems are fixed, before buying the 9200T. Check out my beginners review of the 9200T post a while ago: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295003 and at the bottom it has a link to the FAQ and the site that compares PVRs.

The Toppy would be the PVR to buy if you don't want the 9200T and can't wait, as it is a very MATURE PVR with a dedicated group of users and developers (of TAPs), so most of the problems and bugs have been solved and ironed out. A Rhubarbeques suggestion would also mention the Reelbox if only you can more than afford it and also can wait until later this year when the DVB-T card is released, but I'm going to leave that suggestion to... rhubarbe of course... ;)

Hope this helps.

Bawbagg

Standard Member
Topfield, Topfield, Topfield, Topfield, Topfield, Topfield, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

There's simply no better machine out there (including $ky+). Nice to see someone rave about the MyStuff tap - I'm on the test team and we really do have a GREAT addition to the Toppy.

MyStuff also has the capability to load up a file generated from the Radio Times website, thus getting 14days of VERY rich EPG data (film ratings, genre info, actors, etc etc etc). I'm heavily involved of this part of the development, and we've some great plans.

The Toppy really has changed the way we watch TV. I had a Humax 8000T - which was really no more than a digital VCR. The Toppy (with MyStuff) is a true PVR. Fantastic.

Biased. Of course.

Try it. You won't be disappointed.

BB

rhubarbe

I'd like to suggest the ReelBox. :) No, not yet for DVB-T. Toppy is still the star for DVB-T.

Incidentally, Media_Man: if you watch Freeview with an STB and record with a single tuner PVR like the 8000T, how do you avoid the ads? The rest of us, with twin tuner PVR's, record two channels and chaseplay through the ads. :)

Picture on my Toppy was a bit soft, so I bought some new specs and now it's sharper than any other PVR that I have watched. :) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022