1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To HDTV or Not to HDTV, That is the Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by EXOS, Sep 14, 2005.

1. EXOS

EXOS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hello all,

Being im a noob to all this im gettiing a little frustrated with some of the vendors and inconsistancies with their information. For the last few weeks i have been looking at investing in a Plasma, I don't have much of a budget so it's around the £1500 price range.

I set my mind originally on the Hitachi 5200H, however it has come to light that although it does HD, it isnt actually HD ready (or officially badged as so). Despite this it does not having the so called WAF (you gotta love those women) :suicide:

My move onwards was to the Philips 42PF7520 D/10, being that the model with the D/10 extension supposedly is badged as HD ready, and had reasonable specs for the £1400 (including some discount) i could obtain one for. The Philips site is a little misleading, and i am unsure as to whether there are two variations in this range, can anyone confirm this? The "gumph" details the set as having a component in, even stating YPbPr as an input, however being that i like to see what i buy beforehand i took a trip down to the local comet store to check it out. Low and behold NO component in....now i may be wrong here but i thought that according to the EICTA the minimum was for YPbPr and either DVI or HDMI connections, to allow this to be badged as so :( . If I am wrong can someone please explain how I could use the DVI connection for my DVD or Sky HD+ when it comes out? other than using it for a PC. Additionally, this set has 2 scarts and 1 DVI, so if i wanted to run both how would this be possible!!! :cool:

My third and final choice on the HD front was for the LG 42PX4DV, and again another inconsistancy, some sites say the res is 1024 x 768 and others say 852x480. My question on this is does anyone own one, and what is the actual spec. My second question is, would there be alot of noticible difference between the resolution differences.

My third is: Is it HD or Not!!!

http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/index.php <----HD?

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_270873.html <-- Not HD?

Thanks for your help :smashin:

P.S. Any other recommendations appreiciated.

2. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. it's 852x480 (42PX4DV)

2. At 12 ft you would not notice the difference.

3. I own one and it is excellent, PQ is great, and only one remote required to run the the beast!. :smashin:

4. More inputs than most and all you will need.