To HD or not HD?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by drunkenmaster, Sep 12, 2007.

1. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have been considering going Hi Def for the past few weeks and I keep getting told by AV enthusiasts that HD\BLu Ray inc TV will undergo a change in the next couple of years and the technology is still in its infancy and the Hi Def scene will kick of in a big way with lower prices and updated technology in two to three years.

Now I know that there are always people who wait for the next technology to arrive and never buy anything due to this catch 22 position. But should I really hold off or is the time to buy now as I will not be able to buy any gear for around 12 years after splashing out.

2. betty02

betty02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Personally go for it, its so much mroe improoved then non HD so your not going to be mising out on anything when the big band happens, personally i already think its happened, and HD is at its best so far with blu0ray etc, what else is going to change? nodbody can say yes 2-3years will be a new fetish but then you can simply sell yours and buy the new ones

3. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    If you could say what your budget is, what kit you already have, and an idea of what type of gear you had in mind, I'm sure we'll be able to help out :)

4. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,313
    You could do what I do. Buy a HD DVD player for under £200 (Cheap yes?). Use it for a year or two and by then dual format players will be cheap and the Blu-ray standard will be finalised. Then get a dual player.

Or get a PS3 if you have a need for playing games and it's currently the only blu-ray player in the best place to move with the times.

Either way once I had HD I found it difficult to go back.

5. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    :thumbsup:

TV and Player - £5000.00

6. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    With that budget I'd certainly get into HD now. Prices of players are coming down, especially HD-DVD players. £200- £400 ish

HD TV - £2000 ish Pio, Fujitsu or Panny, you've got to audition.

You'll also need a good amp and speakers. No good just having a great picture. HD ready amp £400 ish. Denon, Onyko. Full set of decent speakers £800 ish. Kef, Moudaunt Short :D.

There, I don't think I even spent your buget. Check out the different forums, but HD is the way to go. Sky HD is not bad either.

7. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    It really depends on what scale of set up you are looking for.

If you can't think of changing any equipment for 12 years if you spend £5000 on equipment now then maybe you should consider a halfway house like spending a modest sum now leaving yourself with plenty spare to upgrade in a couple of years time.

HD-DVD player for £200 coupled to something like a PX70 panny plasma and an acceptable surround sound system would only set you back around £1500 and give you a very good viewing experience, then use the £3500 you didn't spend in a couple of years time to upgrade once the dust has settled in the format wars etc and when hd-dvd/blu ray recorders are common place, tvs have decent scalers to make sd look good on a 1080p tv etc etc.

8. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    :thumbsup:

Brilliant advice
    Thanks all

Any recommendations for a HD player??

9. city fan

city fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Depends how you think the format war is going to pan out.

There are dual format players out there but I can't vouch for their quality.

Obviously there's the PS3 and the standalone BD players.- Expensive.

HD-DVD players much cheaper :) HD E1 cheap great player, but no analogue out's and only 1080i.

The more expensive XE1 has both analogue out and 1080p with as firmware update to come for 24fps. Now if you get the Panny it will accept this resolution, but I've heard you may still get some judder, as it doesn't handle it too well. You may want to consider the new Pio which allegedly does.

I'd go for the XE1:smashin: