To hach or not to hack

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Reefman, May 2, 2002.

1. Reefman

Reefman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just got the hack for my Philips 622 DVD but what are the benefits before I do it. (will the hack mean I can use any region dvds or just R1 & R2 and is it permanent?)

Apart from earlier release, I believe there is more content on reg 1 dvds, but am I right in thinking that the picture quality of NTSC is not as good as PAL ?

Any other benefits?

Can you recommend any reputable reg 1 suppliers with good prices?

thanks in anticipation

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Picure Quality: All other things being equal, yes PAL has more scan lines giving greater vertical resolution.

Some people can also find 2-3 pulldown on NTSC discs annoying too (the means whereby 24 fps film 'fits' on 30 fps video), though NTSC runs at the correct (as near as dammit) speed - PAL runs 4% fast when playing back film based material - the film is simply shown at 25 fps rather than 24; this leads to a change in pitch with the soundtrack which personally I find exceptionally irritating!

However, there is more to picture quality than vertical resolution, the only way to determine which is better is a side by side comparison - all the steps down the line from the same master have an effect on the end result.

NTSC transfers often use a higher DD bitrate (448Kbps) than PAL (384 Kbps) due in part to the extra space needed for extra soundtracks & subtitles.

Extras? Again it varies according to the title, many R2 discs now have the same content as those from R1, and sometimes (rarely) more.

Suppliers:

play247.com

absound.ca

dvdboxoffice.com

futureent.com

dc-dvd.net/index.php

movietyme.com

amazon.com

Reviews & News:

thedigitalbits.com

dvdfile.com

dvdreview.com

3. morrisb

morrisb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suggest you suck it and see!:D

Some DVDs just HAVE to be bought as R1 because they have tons more stuff on them. R1 also has a much wider selection. Check out the ever-cool Rewind to see what's what.

Regarding picture quality - quite often it can be down to a specific film. Some R1 pictures have a much better transfer than R2. It'll depend a lot on how NTSC is shown on your TV (check that your TV is NTSC compatible first! Most are but not all...).

Use your common sense when buying aything over the internet - go with someone reputable, that's been recommended and that use SSL (the little padlock). I suggest you try Play in the first instance, as their service is usually very good.

4. morrisb

morrisb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...oh and and have a look at DVD Reviewer for information on hacking - Philips machines are not the most straightforward, you'll need a One For All remote.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...yeah, the hack is permanent and allows playback of all regions....its also relatively simple... though you will need a 'One For All Six' remote.