Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

To GX7 or not (also Optorite)?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by QED, Jul 26, 2004.

1. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like countless other members of this forum, I too am a newbie at this DVD recorder stuff but heres my question anyway.

I have Sky+ and would like to archive to DVD. My TV is Sony, my surround is Sony so my obvious choice is the RDRGX7 from RGBDirect.co.uk at £484 - is this a good choice?

Secondly, on Sony's site, the recorder is called the RDRGX7 however on RGBDirect's site it is called the RDRGX7S - is there a difference?

Thirdly - I have read and heard good things about Panasonic DVD recorders however I'm not too sure about this RAM thing! f I was to buy a cheaper Panasonic and go for the RAM drive, I would require a drive for my PC that can read RAM discs. I have an Optorite DVD burner but I don't know if this can read RAM disks - anyone know?

Please help me spend my hard earned cash sensibly.

Much appreciated.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    The Sony GX7 is an excellent machine without a doubt - however it is very expensive for what it is. If you look at the 'opposition': the Panasonic E65, Pioneer 320, JVC DMR10, Toshiba DR1 then they all offer more functionality for around half the price. Alternatively have you thought about the Sony GX3 - it is the same as the GX7 only with a cheaper build and no iLink socket. Another point is that Sony will be releasing their new range in the next few months...

No.

Fairly sure your DVD burner can't read DVD-RAM disks. You could always opt for a DVD-RAM capable DVD-ROM drive (Toshiba, Panasonic and LG models generally support RAM disks) which will set you back around £20.

3. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Rasczak. After doing a bit more research online I am tending to agree that the Sony is becoming less attractive.
    After I posted my question I started to read a lot of the other posts in the forum and I am starting to sway towards a DVD&HDD recorder. My main requirements however are:
    • RGB scart in and out
    • RGB Passthrough
    • i.Link
    • Optical 5.1 out
    • DVD-
    • Multiregion
    • Most of all, recommendations (5* awards etc)

I really like the sound of the Panasonic DMRE85HEBS, it receives majorly good reviews in all the magazines but it doesn't have an i.Link - can you suggest an alternative?

Thanks again for your response.

4. QED

QED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was swaying to the Toshiba RDXS32 as well however I don't want any scart RGB passthrough issues as discussed in the thread here so I think I'll steer clear of that one unless anyone can advise me differently.

Q

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    FWIW, I had the GX7 and plumped for the XS32.

The Sony really is too much money and not really that advanced.

RGB will passthrough quite happily if you press the sat mon button.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,584
    Very wise - HDD/DVDRs are the way forward unless you are on a tight budget.

Good machines that meet all of these are:
    - Toshiba RX32
    - Panasonic E95
    - Pioneer 520
    - Pioneer 720

Personally I would steer clear of the Pioneer's for now as they lack component output/progressive scan without offering anything substantially extra over and above the other two. That said they do offer a 2 way iLink connection for camcorder use - although this is unlikely to be a benefit on a HDD system (as you record to HDD and then author as opposed to dump back to the camcorder to dump back to the DVDR).