To go for Onkyo or not??? Advice please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by itchytrig, Jun 11, 2009.

Tags:
  1. itchytrig

itchytrig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have always looked up at the Onkyo range of cinema receivers and hope to be getting closer now to finally getting one... An entry level version, but one that supports the best THX / HDMI support on offer?

Any advice from Onkyo owners out there?
    Any Advice from others who may know better?

(Small speaker set too, I am open to recommendations.)

Thanks in advance!

2. sanjp13

sanjp13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello mate,

ive recently been in your situation, i was looking at onkyo's new range thinkin they were the best value for your money, so went into my local HIFI shop and asked him to demo the onkyo 507 (if i remember right, the one below the £500 version)

he paired it up with the monitor audio vector speakers and its sounded very good. He then asked me do i want to listen to music throught it and i said yes. So he then said try the yamaha rxv 465, again a new amp. doesn't have all the spec compared to the onkyo but was cheaper.

I played the same movie thorugh the yamaha and the difference was unbelievable. the onkyo felt flat in terms of sound compared the yamaha. was very impressed with the difference.

So i guess it depends on what you want to use it for, but i ended up going for the yamaha and love it...

hope thats helps a bit.