1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Gain or not To Gain

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by samwiley, Mar 15, 2001.

1. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering setting up a projector in a room where total blackout can be achieved. The projectors that I am considering have relatively low ANSI lumens ratings (600 - 800) and I was wondering if a screen with a degree of gain might be needed.

The screen will be 200x115cm (80"x45") 16:9 and will not be viewed from more than 4.3m (14') away.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I've seen the Sanyo PLV30, which is also 600 lumens, in blackout with a similar sized screen to yours at Stereo Stereo - it was definitely bright enough. I think the gain of the screen was 1.2 (Gordon?).

I also saw it in ambient light conditions with a 1.0 gain 72" diagonal screen and it was OK for casual viewing.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Liam saw the PLV30 on a Stewart screen, 220cm wide with Studiotek130 (1.3gain) material.

I don't think you are going to have to worry about getting a higher gain screen.

As for dealers in London..... I can't comment authoritavely anymore but Grahams Hi-Fi always treat folk with respect.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !