1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Gain or not To Gain That is the ?..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Hal, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panny 700 on odere dose not get here till the end of the month :(

wile lest it gives me time to get my cinema room ready.

I am abount to get a nice big screen, should I go for a high gain screen or just stick with a simple matt ?

Can any one give me a few pointers on the pros and cons of both and some idears

T.I.A

2. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone ?....

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What size are we talking here?

I've not researched the 700, but given its' nominal 1000 lumen output, then IMHO you'd not want anything exceeding a 1.2 gain, albeit the actual output will be a LOT less than this figure.

PS, 2 hours is a little short to expect too many responses, especially during a weekday afternoon. :)

4. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush: sorry I for get that this maby the center of my world its not every ones..

As for size it will be abount 5 - 6 ft mark not that big a room but its going to be all cinema :D

5. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've ordered the AE700 myself and went for a 1.0 Gain screen.

6. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am blocking the window, so that I can have the screen there. so there will be no out side light at tall. I will be watching films in the dark but will want some light on when I play on the xbox or watch the formla 1. If my understanding Of hi gain screens is right a high gain will help me have some aberent light in the room and still get a good pic....

This will be my frist pj so I am looking for info from some off the old hands

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hal,

I'm assuming that english isn't your native language - your posts are a little hard to understand. If you're going for a 5 - 6ft wide screen then I would say that a normal matt 1.0 gain screen will do - the AE700 should be plenty bright. As far as ambient light is concerned, any light falling on the screen will wash out the image - it just depends on how much light you anticipate.

S.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In general, with this sort or projector any ambient light is BAD, as TheRitz point out.

A high gain screen can help to a limited extent, the main reason for choosing a high gain AFAIK is to help larger screens deal with less-bright projectors .. given that the 700 is one of the brighter projectors in this part of the market then a unity gain is probably fine at the 5-6' size.

9. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for the info m8.

I suffer from (there is a latin word for it wich I can not spell :blush: but It means word blindnes)

so you guys will have to bare with me abit.......

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    There is a way to calculate how much light will be reflected from a screen - you divide the lumens of the projector by the square foot area of the screen.

So, if you have 1000 lumens, first deduct approximately 40% due to lamp dimming and inflated manufacturers figures, so lets say you have 600 lumens.

We will say that you will be using a 6ft wide 16:9 screen, so the dimensions will be 6ft x 3.375ft which gives an area of 20.25.

Divide 600 by 20.25 and you get 29 foot lamberts. If you have something other than a unity gain screen, multiply the result by the gain figure. The number of foot lamberts required for a cinema is 12 to 16 - 12ft lamberts when there is film in the gate, and 16 without. It was derived to reuce film flicker but works well in the home too.

So: lumens / screen area X gain = ft lamberts.

Of course, this is for a fully light controlled room, which is what you will have, so as has already been said, for your choice of screen, a matt white will be fine.

If you introduce some ambient light, you could even try a grey screen - a 0.8 gain grey screen will help with black level and reduce the effects of ambient light. Multiply 29 x 0.8 and you get 23 ft lamberts, which is still fine for your situation.

I'd advise trying to get a grey screen demo if possible, as not everybody likes them.

HTH

Gary.

11. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers m8 will try and get that demo soon

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I started off with a 92" grey screen and a Panny AE300 .. it worked very well in increasing 'blackness' but after a time I became unhappy with the loss of light it caused .. however, a 700 on a 6' screen could probably cope well with the loss of light and could be very effective I would think.

13. Hal

Hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to look at this from a diffrent angle. What are the down sides to a high gain screen. I no it can give you a sweet spot but as my room is not there wide that should not be a proplem....

14. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a 74" screen for my AE500. Originally it was a homemade MDF job with Icestorm 4 top coat. This is a darker grey than most use but I wanted acceptable blacks ( my previous projector was a NEC 9PG+ CRT ) so I also added a Hoya ND2 filter to the Panny. In low lamp mode I had good blacks but a pretty dim picture. I finally managed to get some Dalite HCCV screen material sent out and built a new screen, also 74" diagonal. I would estimate the old screen had a negative gain of about .7 -.8, whereas the Dalite is a positive gain of 1.1. This made a dramatic difference to contrast, brightness and overall punch to the image. Interestingly both Icestorm 4 and the HCCV material are almost an identical shade of grey and therefore black levels have remained the same. I continue to run in low lamp mode.
    Just my tuppence worth, hope it helps.
    Cheers, Rob. :thumbsup:

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    Not wanting to be pedantic. :)

Screens don't have negative gain - it's still positive, but less than unity (one), so 0.8 is still postive because it's above zero.

Just thought some may find that interesting, but possibly geeky. :D

Gary.

16. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I stand corrected. LOL. :rolleyes: