To eat or not to eat?

Lee

Talking with a mate about foods we hate, i said i hate marmite. I have never tried it and it is something i never wanted to. However, he bet me £20 that i wouldn't eat a sandwich of it and bizarrely i said ok :eek:

How horrible is it? Is it nice to eat? What does it taste of? What does it smell like? Am i a wuss :D

I'm tempted to just give him the money but i hate losing a bet.

Do you have any foods you hate even though you've not tried it?

hornydragon

its just Yeast extract mate am sure you eaten yeast before in one form or another ;)
All the foods i hate are because i have tried them really not a fan of internal organs................or Marmite a friend used to chase her boyfriend round the house after eating marmite trying to kiss him HILARIOUS

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Make sure the bread is toasted...I love Marmite on toasted bread but hate it on ordinary bread...

buzlightyear

Marmite is lush, there is nothing to explain the taste, do you like Twiglets, if you do then you will be able to eat a sandwich.
I dont like cabbage, just the smell of it makes me gag. Never had it mind.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
it tastes like very strong gravy with a minor burntness....

Mario Nicholas

Split the world in two - I'm in the hate marmite half, tastes like crap and makes your lips blister

Never mind £20 I couldn't eat it for £200 (unless you allowed puking as part of the bet)

Lee

Thanks for the replies. With a couple of suggestions for having it on toast, that would seem to be a good way to eat it.

However,

tastes like crap and makes your lips blister

seems like giving the £20 away is a good option too.

Lee

SOK said:

What can i say, i feel sick at the thought of eating it :D

littlesheepy

Distinguished Member
I love it! My advice is if you've not had it before just don't spread it thickly. I would agree twiglets are the closest tasting thing to marmite and i'm not actually much for those. Has your mate said how much of you've got to eat, u could spread it so thin u could hardly taste it ;)

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
I hate twiglets but love marmite...but yes...spread it thinly...if your guy says do it thickly it won't be pleasant...but I'd still have no issues for £20. My general rule of thumb is to spread it as thickly as you'd spread the butter...

Lee

littlesheepy said:
I love it! My advice is if you've not had it before just don't spread it thickly. I would agree twiglets are the closest tasting thing to marmite and i'm not actually much for those. Has your mate said how much of you've got to eat, u could spread it so thin u could hardly taste it ;)

I've never eaten twiglets. No mention of how much to eat, so if i can get away with it, thinly it will be :smashin:

RMCF

Distinguished Member
But its £20!!

I've never eaten Marmite but I can't believe that something sold in a supermarket can taste that bad that its not worth £20 for 60-90secs of a bad taste in your mouth.

It'll go away. Maybe you'll like it and then rush out and buy £20 worth!!

BAN5HEE

Marmite on toast is the nuts! I also like Bovril it has a slightly milder taste then Marmite.

goatywoaty

You've never tried it but you apparently hate it? lol your friend must be a bit crazy to bet you £20! I say just try a bit on some toast as suggested before, you may even like it! I certainly do :)

OldAndSenile

Novice Member
I have a theory on Marmite... I was fed it as a very young child, and absolutely love the stuff, as does my brother. My sister never got given it when she was little and she loathes it - same goes for my wife.

Anyone here never had Marmite when they were young, but now love it, or vice-versa?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett