To dvd or not dvd

Y

yevgraf

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm new to this game.

I intend to purchase a Sony PC9 camcorder.

Now I know that I can download the film to the PC, play about with it, and put it back in the camcorder.

The question is: Can I view that film at any time if I attach the camcorder to the PC or would I need to burn a dvd ?

Could I burn a Cd or would this not prove as effective as a dvd ?:)

If I understand your question correctly, provided you can get the edited video back onto the camera (DV-in enabled) you can play the edited video, on a TV, just as you would a video shot with the camcorder.

The video once it is on the PC HDD can be played independantly of the camcorder.

Thanks

Sorry if the question was a little confusing !

The problem is that I don't have a telly. Sad isn't it ??!!

Anything that I record therefore will need to be played on the computer. If possible !

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Ah - no telly - I understand!

Your Sony has a DV in and out, so the camera can download to PC and upload edited video back to camera.

PC you will need -

- a fairly fast PC - say a 500Mhz PIII as a minimum
- lots of HDD space for editing/ temporary storage 40Gb min (2nd HDD a good idea)
- Fast HDD - go for 7200rpm ATA66 min
- Good sound card (Audigy is good - also contains Firewire port), speakers etc
- Firewire port/card - must be OHCI comapatible to control camera from PC - most are - a spare PCI slot will be needed
- Capture & editing software - (Pinnacle Studio 7)
- Windows 98SE, Me, or XP operating system (XP best)
- Quality monitor to edit and view results (17" min).

You will capture and edit the video on the PC. After editing send back to the camera via the Firewire, and also write to a "viewing" file - use MPEG2 for small yet high quality file. Ideally this should be written to a CD (VCD or SVCD), or better a DVD, otherwise you will soon run out of HDD space.

You will also therefore require a CD writer, or better a DVD writer. If you choose a DVD writer the quality can approach commercial DVD's. CD's can be used but the quality will be limited to something near VHS standard and not take full advantage of a DV camera.

You can view the video directly by playing the captured video files, or the edited video file. More practically, you will play the edited video from the CD/DVD writer. I do not know of any system where you can play at full screen directly from the camera (it is not normally wanted!).

If you have a DVD writer you will also be able to play commercial DVD's, and add a TV tuner card and you will also have a telly!!

Thats the basic idea. Happy editing!

Now that's what I call a helpful reply.

Thanks a lot.

Some of the spec is OK but it looks like one or two upgrades are required. Off now for some retail therapy !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom