1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To clock or not to clock...THAT is th...etc etc

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Grif, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi
    Thinking about trichording my cdp....heard rave reviews on this mod. Anyone done it or have any experience with it, or thoughts on it??

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    As with anything it depends on other things. How good is the DAC, how good are the imput and output stages of the CDP, the list goes on. Generally if you make an adjustment you find you have to modify something else to get the best out of it and that gets expensive. Still it's a better bet than blowing money on expensive cables.:)

3. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sony X3000ES....may not be the best but I like it...would get them to add new psu for the clock + new op amps and caps on the output stages at the same time....or would I be better servrd with an external dac?

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Grif,
    I've never heard the player so I can't really comment. I suppose a great deal would depend on how much it's going to cost you and what components are being used.
    If you're talking about adding another PSU, output caps and op amps etc then your talking about redesigning the whole system. Making those kind of changes may take away what you like about the player. I'm not trying to be negative but it's something to bear in mind.
    It all depends on what you're trying to achieve? An upgrade, keeping the same qualities may be difficult, unless you're prepared to put in a lot of time, money and effort in swapping out caps until you get what your looking for. If your going to that much trouble you may as well build a DAC into the player using the second winding on the PSU. After doing all that the only thing you'll be left with that's original is the case and the transport which may defeat the object.
    I think I'd start with the power supply, get that right and everything else will be a lot easier.
    Sorry if this doesn't help much but i'm not too sure what you're trying to achieve.
    By the way. What DAC does it use?

5. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Do a search at www.zerogain.com, there are quite a few different routes and costs to this whole area

6. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the link Londondecca...looks to be quite a bit of info over there.

You make some excellent points Kinghtshade....I guess what I'm trying to achieve is sonic nirvana :D but more specifically, tighter bass and greater clarity/deliniation and prehaps a slightly more dynamic presentation.

The difficulty is trying to decide weather its a case of the grass being greener (or just a different shade of green)or weather there are improvement to be made without going overboard on costs. I shall do some more digging over on zerogain.

7. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being A ES player, I would imagine it's of pretty decent qualities on its own,what's the rest of your kit?,your description to me sounds more a change of speaker,more than CD player mods.

8. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes...its a good player and I'm pleased with it (its the top loader with the see through perspex sliding lid and magnetic puck, its a joy to use)....probably should leave well alone, but can't help but wonder when I see such rave reviews of these mods. CPT Acoustics who do the work for trichord have said its possible to take the player to a whole new level (which they would I guess), but it can get expensive, and as Knightshade said, you could end up with a totally different player in the same chasis, which is why I wanted to see if anyone here had done it.
    This is my headphone rig and I listen to the player with Senn 650's through either a headsave amp or an ANT amber both of which are excellent, connected by a pair of Mark Grant's Canares interconnects.

9. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your that curious,give it a go,the older versions are cheaper,but I guess your looking also at the nevernever PS aswell as clock 4?