To chip or not to chip (xbox)

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Stereo Steve, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm looking at chipping my xbox, mainly so I use XBMC to stream music from a PC elsewhere but also because it has so many emulators and I may be able to get rid of the PS2 if I can get the PS1 version of TR working on it. I do use Live a lot though and am worried about getting banned. I see the new Xenium and Smartxx have some kind of protection against that. Couple of questions.

1. How do these chips stop you from getting banned? Is it a case of choosing the BIOS to boot to and the chip bios won't let you connect?

2. Are all these emulators and the games legal? I see people selling DVD's with thousands of games on them (SPectrum, C64 etc). I'm assuming these are copied DVD's. Is this legal to buy?

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Emu's are legal, its the games that go with them that would be illegal as they are still technically licensed. The live aspect is hit and miss, my mates xbox had a switch on it and was turned off and it still banned him, to be honest xbox's are cheap as chips get one chipped and get full use of changing hdd to fit more mp3/movies etc... on there and use the other for game playing on Live.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, I've ordered a brand new Xbox from amazon and will be ordering an xecuter 2.3b lite and programmer once my nochex stuff is sorted. Also I'm getting a 120gb Hard drive (any particular models recomended)?

So.......

Is there a guide anywhere to cover the steps I need to take once I have assembled it all? I'm not really too hot on all this stuff but keen to have a go anyway. I can solder fine, it's the software side that scares me.

Any basic straightforward guides about that will let me end up with a machine identical to one I could have bought from premodded etc?

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Check out the Tutorials section over at www.xbox-scene.com - they have guides on pretty much everything you're ever likely to do :)

K.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,496

I got a 120GB HD from pre modded - the service and delivery time was excellent - it arrives pre loaded with all the software and emulators that you could wish for - highly recommended - you may spent couple quid more but itss worth it saving hassle of getting all the stuff yourslef

6. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Since it's now illegal to chip your consoles in this country, should you really be asking this on the forum?

As Buzlightyear said, emulators are technically legal, but roms are definitely illegal. Buying/selling/using them are all illegal. As are most of the apps that people run on their Xbox

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I thought that ruling only applied to the PS2?

Thanks for the advice, especially about the preloaded hard drives. Cool.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Chip it definately. I have a switchable chip and use live no problems. You are only going to get banned if you try and go into live with the chip activated. Thats hard to do ; mine has a bright blue LED to tell you the chip is active !

Lets get this right even if its its illegal to sell the chips in this country and for someone to install them, Its not illegal to own a chipped console is it ? And he isnt doing either just asking advice.

No way they are going to stop me. Having it chipped unlocks so much potential in this little box, high def output and xbox media player being the prime examples. If MS dont want us to chip them then they shouldnt lock this sort of functionality out. They could have stopped many people doing this sort of thing with a little more thought.....

9. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I Have no intention of doing anything illegal. I only ever buy games to play on live so I have to buy originals. I am interested in using the box in the living room to stream music from my bic PC upstairs that I have copied all my (original) CD's on to so I can save some space.

Hidef looks worth having to for my PJ.

I can't believe that any company would be selling anything illegal in the open as MS would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

I personally think that as long as you have to buy original games to go on live, MS will be happy to be selling something that is so flexible and useful. What can I do with my PS2? Not much.

10. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry if I offended by saying that. I'm sure you do intend to use your chip for valid, legal reasons (as I will do when/if I get my Xbox chipped) I was simply saying that it is illegal to chip them, and the majority of reasons for owning a chipped console are illegal.

AFAIK unlocking region lockout is the ONLY legal reason for using a chip, and that has basically been declared illegal under most circumstances now!

MS (as well as Sony/Nintendo) don't want you importing because import games are cheaper than domestic one. The government certainly doesn't want you importing either so it's just a matter of time before importing ANY entertainment product from outside the EU - for personal use - becomes illegal, IMO.

11. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I've been out to the beach today and I probably broke the law on the away there by a couple mph or something as do 90% of people every day. That's different to driving like a lunatic though.

I guess we have to use common sense when thinking about what is legal and what is not. I don't pirate games or music or movies. I buy original CD's and DVD's. Sure, a mate may have given me a CDR of a great band but I have usually either binned it or bought the proper CD's (I did this with Steely Dan and Jack Johnson to name 2 and that's sales that the companies wouldn't have got without the 'illegal' CDR).

So, I may have broken the law and they can sue me if they want but I doubt they will. :smoke:

12. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    It was only Playstation 2 mod cips that have been made illegal. Xbox chips so far have no legal implications for buying/selling or owning and there are people that earn a reptuable living from working in the xbox mod chip industry.
    I can't see too many mod detector vans driving round the streets checking!

13. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Not true - the ruling is aimed at suppliers of the chips. It's only illegal to sell/distribute them for commercial purposes (if you do a search you'll come across a thread on this very subject from not so long ago - interesting reading :)) In any case, the ruling was only aimed at the PS2 chip market...

Again, not true in the case of the Xbox - the recent case that you mention was in respect of PS2 chips (as above) where the only "feature" is the bypassing of copy/region protection. Xbox chipping is a whole different ball game - the chips also have many legitimate uses.

K.

14. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Just had a dig, and the previous thread on PS2 modchips is here :)

K.

15. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I thought it applied to any modchips, not just PS2 chips. Entirely my mistake :lesson:

Still, I think Xbox chips will be declared illegal sooner rather than later. Despite their legitimate uses, they circumvent copy protection which is illegal.

Of course the simple answer is: either release a chip that doesn't override copy protection, or make consoles multi region out of the box. Bet neither of those things happen though... :censored:

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You will never stop people doing it I am afraid. Anyway I doubt they will make Xbox chips illegal as the previous posts said they have many legitimate uses. As I said MS could have avoided many of these problems, why disable the High def output on Pal boxes ???????

17. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Declaring mod chips illegal is irrelevant because....

The mod chip itself doesn't allow you to do anything other than run another BIOS

It's the BIOS that allows you to do all the lovely things you'd like to e.g. Running unsigned code which isn't bypassing copy protection per se, but running unapproved code (Like Linux)

The BIOS's are generally based on MS code, the redistribution of which is illegal, which is why they're not posted on any sites easily found via google etc.

Distributing a chip with a BIOS already installed which is based on MS code is illegal (redistribution of code again). This is why most come with either no BIOS installed or a Linux based BIOS. You then go find the code you want and do the programming, obviating the mod chip vendor from any code distribution violations.

Without a BIOS, the modchip is nothing more than a bunch of electronics components, so it doesn't override anything, or actually do anything.

And.......

You can flash the onboard TSOP with a new BIOS, without a modchip, so effectively you don't actually need a modchip to override copy protection, unsigned code locks or region locking, in fact, you can buy all the bits you need to do this on the high street...

So, should the XBox itself be made illegal as it can be reprogrammed quite easily without a chip to ignore unsigned code???