1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To change or not to change

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sapperjohn, Aug 5, 2003.

1. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    First post, so here goes

Been contemplating changing my PJ but would value some considered opinions. Currently have a Seleco SVP350 around 5 - 6 yrs old, not a bad PJ and its been regularly calibrated and converged, using RGB input (no component on the early model) so picture is as good as it can be for this PJ. And only 2000 hrs as it's used only for DVD.

Thing is now that LCD's have improved in contrast ratio and the screen door effect is negligable is it time to change. The Panasonic AE300 looks very tempting, the reviews have been good, more lumens, componet input, data capable (play around with HTPC) and set up is DIY and easy etc. And less than half the price I paid for the Seleco 5-6 yrs ago

Now having been unable to find a demo in the NW (of the Panny)should I just go for it and will I be delighted or disapointed in relation to the the old Seleco CRT. The cinematic look/feel to the picture for want of any better description.

Has anyone been able to make a similar comparison.

thanks

2. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to AVS, the Panny 400 will be out soon. Very good price and specs.

I would wait until after Cedia to make your choice, as you already have a projector.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    sapperjohn

I had a barco 701s last year for about 6 months and after some initial problems with shadow detail I had it dialled in as good as it could have been (I think as it faired equally to a 708 I saw elsewhere).

It wasn't until I swapped it for a TW100 that I realised how much brightness, colour and detail I was missing. The 701s image was beatifully smooth but very soft and lacking in fine detail. The TW100 gave a much brighter more punchy image and apart from the slight SD I was much happier with the image and the general ease of use etc that it gave me. A big thumbs up :smashin:

The next step up for me was to go to the Sharp DLP which is as significant a jump as the first one. If you don't suffer from rainbows then I would sugest you seriously consider a DLP. If not then I think you will be very happy with a quality high res LCD.

Good luck :hiya:

4. vishnu

vishnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    i was in exactly the same position, just sold my svp350 which i have had for about 5 years, and waiting for an Epson TW100 to turn up which i have just ordered.

I demoed the Yamaha LPX 500 (tw100 clone) in the shop and thought it was alot better than the CRT (which has been set up professionaly), initaily planned to go for the Z1 which also i saw and was really good but had too much screen door and was noisier then the yamaha.

The real comparison is when i get it set up at home and watch a few films on it. Ill let you know how it compares if you are interested.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Z1 noisier than the Yamaha? Must have been in high brightness mode. In reduced lamp mode the Z1 I had was a fair bit quieter than the LPX and a lot quieter than the TW100.

Nice move.

6. vishnu

vishnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I did try the reduced lamp mode on the Z1 and as you say it was quieter then, but the picture was then quite a bit dimmer. To me it seems a shame not to use its full capacity. As the yamaha was reasoanably quiet at full brightness.

Have to remember im used to a huge CRT with loud fans above my head so anything is better in comparison.

Also chose the TW100 as so many people say good things about it on here and its such a good price.

7. vishnu

vishnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I also looked at a sharp DLP (xv-z91E) a couple of times. I saw some rainbows and both times i had a bit of a headache afterwards....may have been unrelated but didnt want to take the risk, so because of that and it is 4:3, i have a 16:9 screen I decided on LCD

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Couldn't agree more re the TW100. Great pj. Had 2 myself in the past. Got the Sharp Z10000 now.

9. vishnu

vishnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Messiah,

Well looking forward to getting mine, hoping i will be really impressed by it.

sorry slightly off topic, but did you have any problems with dead pixels people talk about and whats the best way to check for them?

10. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looks like I will be changing just on the replies so far.

Messiah. To think I used to aspire to the Barco.

Richard. Yeah I would be interested in your comments on the TW100. Particularly as you would be comparing it in the same environment as a well set up SVP350. Oh yes and so much quieter.

If I do go for it I would like to take advantage of progressive scan or at least have the option. I`m not sure from reading some of the posts that it is not always as good as it could be. So I was thinking of getting a Sony NS930 for the PAL and NTSC PS as it's not too expensive. Anyoone tried one out on a Panasonic or any other PJ. (sorry if this is crossing forum boundry).

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Richard - The TW100 does seem to suffer from dead pixels more than most. Check on the blank screen which can be set to either blue or black. Check with both background colours.

sapperjohn - I wouldn't worry too much about PS as the DCDi deinterlacing in the TW100/LPX500 is about as good as you'll get from any DVD player under about £1k. You'll have to pay quite a lot of money to get something better in a player so I would just stick with the pj (TW100/LPX500/HS10 - latter not DCDi but just as good) to do all that. You won't be disappointed.

However, if you go with a Z1 then having seen one I would say the total opposite. The demo one I had did not seem too good in that department. Can't talk for the AE300 as not seen one for any length of time. Would highly recommend a TW100, LPX500 or HS10. If you can get the latter for £1400 from RW then seems like a bargain.

12. vishnu

vishnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Thanks, Messiah.

sapperjohn,
    another reason i went for the TW100 is that it has a DVI port (dont know if the AE300 has?).

So planning on getting the Momitsu DVD-880 again form recomendations on here, as it has a DVI port also. It beats component connections and is close to the quality of a HTPC so people say, i have no personal experience of either mind.

13. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Messiah. Thanks more food for thought.

On the topic of dead pixels. Is there such a thing as dead pixel phobia. I have a recurring nightmare where I set up the new PJ in fron of the wife with words like "of course th picture will better" "it is money well spent darling". I then put a movie on and am confronted with what looks like a psychadelic snow storm of dead pixels and dust blobs.

Seriously when I do purchase I would like to get a pixel check. Any reccomendations for suppliers who carry out the check.

14. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Richard
    The AE300 does have DVI input which was one of the considerations as I want to have a play with HTPC. Not come across the Momitsu , sounds intertesting.

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Only companies I know of who offer dead pixel checks are NexNix and Digital Direct.

16. vishnu

vishnu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    here is a link for the momitsu specslink

Also plays MPEG4.

17. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want HTPC wouldnt that rule out the AE300 ... no 1:1 pixle mapping. hows about the HT1000? if u can DLP (without rainbows). see kramers thread RE. cheap ones ... what about an HS-10 theyre still pretty good...

18. sapperjohn

sapperjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mirablo . yeah fair point . though it was more to dabble with HTPC than have a permanent set up. But of course once you start down that road........

19. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    id always recomend the HS10 over the AE300 so long as its with in your budget 1:1 mapping nice res good inputs only down side is it reminds me of a breville pie maker :D