To cancel or to upgrade? That is the question?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by s0cialb3ta, Feb 10, 2009.

1. s0cialb3ta

s0cialb3ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi I would like some expert advice please. :lease: What is the best course of action? - (I know this is a sky thread but my mention of talk talk is relevant
    here (i think)):confused:

I dont know how i managed it but all my contracts are either ending or have ended - talk talk for home phone and internet, and sky plus. I'm not very happy with talk talk and would love sky broadband max but i refuse to pay BT £120 for the 'connection charge' they demand. So i was thinking stick with talk talk pay £20 for 14.3meg broadband (i'm 783m from the exchange) :D
    combined with my calls.

But then i learn that i'm coming to the ned of my contract with sky :thumbsup:. BTW i think i should mention here that i signed up for the 'movies for a fiver deal' before xmas.

Sooo :rolleyes: should

a) stick with talk talk (poss. another contract) and stay with sky + and well just be a bit of a donut?

b) upgrade to Sky HD for £50 plus £30 install?

c) pull the old 'oh i want to cancel my contract' and see what i can get from them?

Ideally i'd like to start a new contract with sky HD on the basis i take BB Max with them paying for my BT line connection, whilst also waiving the £30 install, maybe even a free HD box ;)

What do you think? Can it be done?

2. newboy2008

newboy2008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90

just be a donut :hiya:.You seem to do it very well.:smashin:

3. s0cialb3ta

s0cialb3ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Any ideas :devil:

i know i should be able to make this work in my favour, it would just be good to get some ideas. i've heard sky are very good at customer retention

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Compared to VM and Setanta they are tight as a wod, they simply don't have to spend money to keep customers however there is a retention budget and if you call at the right time and speak to the right CS rep you may get a good deal.
    You lose nothing by exploring your options with a phone call:)

SKY have been paying a BT connection charge for people taking their telco services, forum search should pull up some posts referencing that option.

5. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Seriously, good luck:D

Attached Files:

6. s0cialb3ta

s0cialb3ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    lol, thank you, i cant wait till tommorrow evening now.

7. s0cialb3ta

s0cialb3ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hello,

I spoke to Corrina in cancellations this evening, she seemed to be new, it sounded like someone was behind her telling her what to say. Anyway, she suggetsted I stay with sky for a bit and then decide after a few months, when sky start providing there own telephone lines towards the end of March for existing customers (apparently). She gave me 25% off a month for the next six months :rolleyes: and told me to submit a feedback form online to see if anyone can do anything for me i.e. pay for my BT installation. Will wait now i suppose.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  8. RICK...

RICK...
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The connection charge should be free? As i'm assuming you already have a BT line, it just needs activating? They didn't charge me anything to re-activate my BT line a couple of months back. When i signed back up to BT they did say it 'could' cost £125 if a new line needs fitting, but as i already had one (it was just disconnected) i didn't have to pay it.

As for Sky, i phoned them up around a month ago, told them i want to cancel and they gave me all the packages except sports for £19 a month for 6 months. They also offered me Sky HD for £49 all in, but as i'm not interested in subscribing to HD (wasn't impressed with my mates!) they did me a deal on Sky+ instead, £45 all in. Which isn't bad to say they're still charging £99 for the box on their website, plus installation!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  9. s0cialb3ta

s0cialb3ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    see, i knew these things could be done, especially with sky... i'm still waiting for my email from sky to get them to agree to pay. well lets see what they say.
    Accoring to BT they cant see an existing connection...so they want ridiculous amounts of money :mad:

10. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    The OP's broadband and phone provider is TalkTalk which is an LLU service.
    The original telephone line was installed by BT but they are no longer the providers of the service. All services are provided through TalkTalk's own equipment in the exchange and will no longer appear on the BT database.

This is why there is normally a charge - the line has to be moved from the TalkTalk equipment and re-provided by BT - essentially a new line.