To buy Philips or Not?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Arch, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am new to this forum and I am in the process of trying to decide which TV to purchase, I had decided on the Sony KV28FQ75 but having read the problems other owners are having I have decided to give this a bodyswerve. I am now looking at a Philips but have read some bad reviews about them mainly the 6515 so really I am looking for advice from other philips owners.

The models I am looking at are
    28PW6826 available for £728
    28PW9616 available for £767
    28DW9625 available for £799
    28PW9617 havn't checked prices.

They all seem to have their own merits ie 6826 has DVD player but is only DPL.

9617 seems very high spec and is digital 5.1

DW9625 not sure about this one due to demise of ITV Digital does this TV really offer anything the others don't.

Also what are your feeling on 50HZ as opposed to 100HZ.

I will be using the set up hooked to a nicam VCR, DVD player (yet to purchase), and a SKY Digibox. At the moment use both a terestrial feed and SKY feed.

Would really appreciate any advice

cheers
    Arch

:cool:

2. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Philips are shoddy rubbish

i have a 28pw9615/05

badly made , terrible picture defects , remote broke , stupid interface , poor tv connections

overall.. 2/10 - and thats being generous.

i shouldve bought...

a. Sony
    b. Loewe
    c. B&O

Learn from other peoples mistakes - its much cheaper !:rolleyes:

3. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to disagree, I have a Philips 36" 9607 and both the picture and sound is fantastic.

If you want to take a chance with a Sony...good luck and Loewe and B&O and well more expensive than Philips...

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    You could base your analysis of the quality of Philips TVs on one bad example, or you could take a more sensible approach. I have a Philips TV with none of those problems. Just read the posts on this forum from all the delighted new owners of Pixel plus sets, me included. It looks good, performs superbly with analogue and digital broadcasts, and DVDs are awesome. The remote is excellent, and the SCARTS are firm and secure. When the men carted it in the first thing that struck me was the build quality. When I pushed in the scart plugs there was no "give" from the sockets like you often get. The plugs fitted snug and secure. Sorry beowulf that you obviously had a "Friday afternoon" unit, but I do not think this is typical of Philips units.

Leaving aside the possibility of faulty units - B&W, Loewe, and Sony have all been guilty of doing that (just read some of the spleen vented against Sony elsewhere on this forum) - I would recommend the 9617 with pixel plus. You should be able to get it for about £800, and as well as pixel plus the new sets have excellent 5.1 sound set ups - the 9617 uses wireless rear speakers.

5. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help it is appreciated you wouldn't think buying a TV would be this hard but just when you think you have decided something appears to change your mind. Well I think I will go for the philips 9617 although I am confused as to why I seem to be able to pick up the 9617 for a bout £100 less than the 9616 as I thought the 9616 was a slightly lower spec any ideas. Also how does the 9617 perform with a SKY Digibox input as this is what I do most of my viewing from, apart from DVD.

Thanks
    Arch

6. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I have a Philips 32PW6515 and have none of the problems that people complain about on this board. The build quality is very good, the picture and sound is excellent, the controls, interface, remote control as good as any. Not to mention that the design is one of the best. And all for a mere £750 when I got it last February.

I wouldn't hestitate to buy another Philips.

7. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers david

thanks for the help
    arch

8. beowulf

beowulf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    just get a GOOD warranty OK?

good luck !

9. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just echoing David's comment on the 32PW6515. A great set with none of problems as previously discussed on this site. Bought for £649 without stand in January. Wouldn't mind one of the new pixel plus models though. Go for one if you can afford it.

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I have the 9607, but the 9617 should be as good. The performance on Sky via RGB scart is superb. I posted some time ago that the broadcast of Gladiator on Sky movies was almost as good as the DVD. Sports coverage is excellent given the sometimes dodgy quality of the material being received.

11. Arch

Arch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well took the plunge and have got the 28PW9617, havn't had a great deal of time to play with it yet but first impressions, superb picture such a huge improvement on my old Nicam JVC.
    Initial impressions- looks like a good choice - havn't set up rear speakers yet so havn't fully tested the sound capabilities.

12. LarsDK

LarsDK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the philips 32pw9617 come with 2 tuners??

13. horsleyman

horsleyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Philips 32PW6006 from Unbeatable in Feb. ( £502 delivered, no cabinet ) and I am very pleased with it. So pleased, in fact, that I have bought its little brother for another room (28PW6006).