To buy or wait... Denon 2700 or Yamaha V6A

decson74

Dear AV hive mind!

I currently have an aged, frequently failing (crashing) Bose lifestyle 28 hooked up to 4K tv (to be upgraded later), with
  • PS 5
  • Apple TV 4K
  • Switch
attached direct to tv and audio fed back by TV output (digital lead).

I have been eying up the RV6 for a number of weeks mainly due to the hope of 3 HDMI 2.1 connections, and the reviews overall have been great. But it is awaiting a lot of 'firmware updates' for not just HDMI 2.1, but other improvements too.

I have decided on, not just for. their size but also reviews and cost to make the shift speaker wise to Q Accoustics 3010i 5.1 pack. the sub woofer would fit great in the space and as I am to wall mount they will work well with space (finally moving away from satellite speakers); I kinda hope.. think sound wise this will be a huge improvement.

But my quandary, I can see a package with the Denon 2700 and speakers at £150 cheaper package price (than Yamaha and same speakers)... this with still no movement/updates from Yamaha has made me consider this option.

But it only has one HDMI 2.1 input port... Though at least it does work with PS5 :).

Anyway my future needs:
  • Aim to update to tv to 4K HDMI 2.1 this year, but tv I am looking at only has 2 2.1 connections,
  • However so far I only really have the PS5 today that would use it; worse case could connect second device to tv and eARC it (think that's correct lol)
  • The rest is staying the same
  • Or am I simply over thinking future HDMI 2.1 needs lol.

Would you bite the bullet on the Denon? I could even add a little more to get a 2nd sub or get the 3030i front speakers (though they may look too deep on wall).

Help/advice greatly appreciated.

I'm a keen movie nut (my escape) but love music with wine some Sunday afternoons too. And I play games when I can (escape again lol).

I have more questions (sorry) ie seeking your advice on height for surround speakers... but can get to those when I actually get a unit lol.

But would really appreciate views, is the wait for Yamaha worth it? or is Denon a solid bet? And will this be better than my Bose (I've had it for years lol).

Thank you! and sorry for the novel. lol

Garry

Last edited:

decson74

I'd be inclined to wait it out until you A) have an HDMI 2.1 TV, or B) Yamaha and/or Denon settle their HDMI 2.1 issues.
Yeah that was original plan... however new sofa arrives end of next month; and need to redecorate.

Thought good opportunity to get the old stuff down, new stuff up and redecorate over the legacy of old speakers lol.

From reviews the Devon seems good with ps5. But yeah this #hdmi2.1gate is all still up in air from I can see. Though at least demon works with it using the 8k input.

Yeah but buying the AV and speakers together is £390 less lol.
I’ll ponder. Been reading all the forums on both AVs.
I think you are over thinking the 2.1 aspect. In general 2.1 is overhyped, although you may gain some benefit from it using the PS5. The Denon is overall probably a better amp than the Yamaha anyway, so if it was me I would go with that and the speakers you have highlighted.

It will definitely sound a lot better than your old Bose system.

dante01

Distinguished Member
If not desperate to own an AVR equiped with HDMI version 2.1 then I'd suggest you wait. THere a new chipset scheduled that don't have the issues associated with those being currently used by DEnon and Yamaha:

HDMI 2.1 chips and boards update:

1. First gen of chips
Panasonic Solutions offered two versions of silicon:
a) Denon/Marantz - one input 40 Gbps port - hardware change imminent due to a bug in the silicon
b) Yamaha lower models-multiple ports-performance unclear until new software; alleged 24 Gbps (8K60 B)
2. Second gen of chips
Analog Devices (attached) & others - Trinnov engineer: chips perform better; unclear how much better?
a) Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra - multiple 40 Gbps and 24 Gbps ports - Q3 2021
b) Steinway Lyngdorf - HDMI 2.1 board upgrade for owners Q3-Q4 2021 (Analog Devices 40 Gbps)
c) Trinnov AV processors - testing 40 Gbps; if happy, release in Q4 2021 or Q1 2022
d) Yamaha high tier models are delayed - swapped first gen for second gen of chips?
3. Third gen of chips - 48 Gbps - in design - due late 2022 or 2023?
a) Trinnov hopes to implement this, if not happy with 2nd gen chips (Cypress Tech. designs boards)
b) others?

Also note that the next gen higher tier models are more than likely going to be equipped with the full 48Gbps bandwidth chipsets as opposed to the limited bandwidth chip[sets that are riumoured to be currently being employed by Yamaha in their entry level models.

THere are also other issues associated with how HDMI has been implemented onboard the new models. I'd be put off from buying one due to these issues.

Simply connect your PS5 directly to a compliant display if wanting to experience 3K/120Hz gaming. I'd not particularly rate it though and you'd get better graphics at 4K/60Hz. THe real benefits will be the other additional HDMI version 2.1 gaming features as opposed to 120Hz frame rates.

Last edited:

decson74

I think you are over thinking the 2.1 aspect. In general 2.1 is overhyped, although you may gain some benefit from it using the PS5. The Denon is overall probably a better amp than the Yamaha anyway, so if it was me I would go with that and the speakers you have highlighted.

I needed to hear that. Thank you.

decson74

If not desperate to own an AVR equiped with HDMI version 2.1 then I'd suggest you wait. THere a new chipset scheduled that don't have the issues associated with those being currently used by DEnon and Yamaha:

Also note that the next gen higher tier models are more than likely going to be equipped with the full 48Gbps bandwidth chipsets as opposed to the limited bandwidth chip[sets that are riumoured to be currently being employed by Yamaha in their entry level models.

THere are also other issues associated with how HDMI has been implemented onboard the new models. I'd be put off from buying one due to these issues.

Simply connect your PS5 directly to a compliant display if wanting to experience 3K/120Hz gaming. I'd not particularly rate it though and you'd get better graphics at 4K/60Hz. THe real benefits will be the other additional HDMI version 2.1 gaming features as opposed to 120Hz frame rates.
Understood. Yes I can do the ps5 to tv :). I think my Bose is on last legs though so gonna push me sooner than later.
But very valid points. Now if they could release them next week even better 😂

decson74

So after spending the last week thinking more, reading more cross the forums..

Ordering today! But decided to go big on AV side, seems the 3700 would make largest difference for sound overall from reading all reviews. And although I could of added a 2nd sub for the price difference, can do that in time... but don't want to get the 2700 thinking maybe it could have been better in a months time.

I watch movies etc a lot more than gaming, and as you say can just plug that into tv and get sound back. Holding out for the new Philips OLED tv's so doing this now will set me up for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom