Question To buy or not to buy- Sigma 17-50mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rflx95, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

So after my last thread I have been on the lookout for a new "do a bit of everything/walk about" lens and have pretty much settled on the sigma 17-50 f2.8 based on reviews/price etc

I wanted to ask you guys though before I buy, if you had any other recommendations at the £200 mark new or used doesnt really bother me.

Side notes: I like to shoot a bit of everything from landscape to stuff like product shots for my course (product design) and some portraiture.

Current kit:
    Canon 450D w/ Battery grip - will hopefully be replaced with something like a 60D in the future
    Canon 50mm f1.8 stm
    Canon 18-55 II < the one im pretty much wanting to replace
    Canon 55-250II
    Velbon Monopod

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,076
    Also consider the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 - cracking little lens also - which you choose may well depend on your personal preferences - good comparison review here highlighting each lens's particular strengths and weaknesses - though TBH neither has any really significant weaknesses :-

Review: Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS vs Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC

Jim

3. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yeah I read that review and have been going back and forth between them but I think what ultimately did it for me was a combination of the sigma having better autofocus, a quieter focus and better Image stabilisation which will come into play when I get the 60D and start to do some film stuff as well,also the 77mm filter being like "pro" and what not so if I do eventually get significantly more expensive lenses I shouldn't have a problem with having to buy filter etc again

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,076
    LOL I don't think I'd let the need to source a new filter decide my choice of any lens TBH as it's going to be a relatively small outlay compared to a Pro Lens

I actually find the 50mm long end a bit short a lot of the time (on crop sensor) and my fav. walk about lens is the Sigma 17-70 mm - not constant F2.8 but I love it and the close focussing ability is useful too

Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro - Review / Test Report

Jim

5. rflx95

rflx95
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yeah I know i normally wouldnt as well as its very minor but when the lenses are so close its the minor differences that matter and i will have a look at that to

6. rancidpunk

rancidpunk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,493
    I've not used the Sigma, but the Tamron 17-50 is the go to walkabout for me and the missus. A good step up from kit and great for the money.
    Just like most of their comparable lenses, there's very little between them. I only tend to veer towards Tamron now, if they're close, after some poor service from a Sigma rep at the photography show; it's the little things that can make a choice for you.

7. grumps1974

grumps1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for the Tamron - it is a better lens all round. Sigma have a reputation for quality control problems.

8. denno75uk

denno75uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +574
    Seems IS is a necessity to for you, so not sure if my opinion is relevant, but I owned the non-VC Tamron and think it is a fantastic lens. The constant 2.8 is probs the biggest difference over the kit lens and its usefullness for speed and low light cannot be understated: you will be able to get shots in many more situations. And obv it will increase your creativity getting shallower DOF. Used it on a 30D. Ultra sharp, focuses well and very close if you need it to. Always reliable. Cheaper than the VC too. Can't recommend it enough. Upgraded to the Canon when I got a 7D MkII, but that was mainly for the AF speed.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  9. Killwilly

Killwilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Canon 15-85 is worth considering, but sadly out of your budget.

10. sep8001

sep8001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I have the Tamron 17-50 non vc with my D90 and use that most of the time. Did look at sigma when I was looking for my one but in the end settled for Tamron as I found a sharp one locally.