1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to buy BBK, Nintaus, Skyworth or Malata?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bluecgi, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Bluecgi

Bluecgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how good is the BBK DVD-BBK919PS (available from hivizone.com) as compared to the Nintaus PDVD-N9769 or Skyworth?
    I've decided to buy one of those DVD players, but the latter 2 is out of stock and I don't have much choice between. Since the price is higher on the BBK, I assume it's better?

same questions for the Malata N996, plus does this player have a VGA output? I can't find any pictures of its rear. from what I can gather the Malata is the only one out of the pack that can sucessfully covert PAL material to NTSC(progressive)?

2. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBK
    - crappy decoding
    - crappy de-interlacing
    - not very good video performance
    + usually doesn't freeze

Skyworth
    + good de-interlacing
    + ok mpeg decoding
    - sometimes freezes

Nintaus
    + good de-interlacing
    + perhaps a bit better video than Skyworth
    - skips/jerks A LOT - many times during a single movie

I'd buy none of them if you really want to enjoy movies. I've seen all three of them. My friend bought each of them and is now selling them all after having gotten his Philips 962SA (excellent decoding, excellent de-interlacing, no freezing, no skipping).

cheers,
    Halcyon

3. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with Halcyon.I have just recently received my Nintaus 9769 which I purchased purely for it's Sage/Faroudja deinterlacing with both NTSC and PAL.I cannot recomend it if you require decent interlaced playback,though if you really need PAL/NTSC and NTSC/PAL systems conversion it might be a good choice as I believe that neither the Philips or Skyworth can do this correctly.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the Nintaus Pal to NTSC conversion, & it's unwatchable.

Losing frames by the new time!

I only got it for the progressive VGA output, to feed my AE-100 PJ.

Pal picture is good (progressive), & NTSC is very good. Glitches are very minor on my unit, maybe twice in a two hour movie.

Overall I think this is a very good player for a very low price, & hopefully the soon to be released firmware update will cure these problems.

However, I've opted for the HTPC route, & I'll never go back!

By far & away the best picture I've ever seen (on LCD PJ).

5. Bluecgi

Bluecgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the feedback fellas, I thought about others such as the Philips, but they are too steep for my budget and I really want PAL Progressive Scan, not necessarily the signal conversions.
    i think I might wait few more weeks to decide since they don't have any stocks of the Nintaus anyway. unless..

Kramer, since you are using your HTPC now, are you going to sell your Player? if so let me know as I am interested