1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To buy an Iscan Pro or not!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gavin_Hall, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have recently purchased a Sony HS-1 Cineza projector. I am using it with my Toshiba 210 DVD player, which will eventually be connected up via the Component connections, after I've given £80 to Sony for the necessary cable!

My question is, would there be a noticeable improvement in pitcure quality if I was to use an Iscan Pro to provide a Progressive picture to my Projector? I know the Projector displays a Progressive picture when given a non-interlaced image, as it has it's own internal de-interlacer, but will the Iscan Pro do it much better?? Would the picture be £600 better? That's the question!

I currently have the DVD player connection via s-video and when I watch the intro to Star Trek Insurrection the opening scene is noticeably "jumpy" when it pans across the mountains/lake. Would the Iscan improve this?

Thanks for any help, this is all new to me.

Gavin

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The jumpiness is due to the 2:3 frame sequence. An Iscan would not improve this. It will still have a 2:3 sequence. It will remove other artifacts though...just not temporal ones!

Sorry for short reply but it's late and I've had a few drinks.....

Gordon

3. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A cheaper alternative would be to buy a progressive scan DVD player.Toshiba,Denon,Harman Kardon,Arcam and Sony all have Progressive players in their ranges,mostly NTSC only due to non ratification of PAL progressive at current time, though the Denon 2800 and Arcam players can be hacked to output Pal progressive.The Toshiba SD510 seems very popular and is reasonably priced (circa £300) but is currently NTSC progressive only.Check for various threads in DVD player forum for more info.

To answer your question directly, I have a Sony VPL-HS1 projector and yes, component progressive scan does improve the picture quality considerably IMHO .I use a Toshiba SD900e (NTSC progressive only) and have just recently bought a Nintaus N9769 DVD player from China, that outputs both progressive PAL and NTSC from an on-board Sage/Faroudja processor that I think is a real bargain for about £250 including shipping and taxes!It tends to glitch two or three times during the running time of the average feature film, but i don't find that too much of a problem.It is somewhat mediocre in interlaced mode,and in no way (other than it's progressive capabilities)can it be considered a full time replacement for theToshiba SD900 (or indeed your SD 210),but is definately worth considering for projector only use.
    I've never used the Iscan so unable to comment on it's abilities,though you would be able to use it with sources other than the DVD player.

Pete. :)

4. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks for the help guys. I don't think I'll get financial approval from SWMBO for a new DVD player, having just splashed out on a projector. I can "hide" the Iscan pro as "part of the kit needed to make the projector work"!!

I guess what I need to do is borrow an Iscan Pro and see the difference with my own eyes. Now who do I know who has recently bought an Iscan pro......

5. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmm .. so you think I should bring it with me if I 'drop in' Friday week ?

Like the idea of comparing the Sony and the Panasonic AE100 with and without the IScan ...

Chas

6. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Chas, sounds like an excellent idea, I just hope the screen arrives in time ;)

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Peter

Could you tell me, for PAL DVD's, how the Toshiba sd900 interlaced component to the projector compares against the nintaus progressive output

I read someone who says the Toshiba is nearly as good compared to using an ISCAN PRO

Thanks alot

8. Peter Webb

Peter Webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently unable to keep the projector set up full time,but when I next use it(this weekend hopefully !) I'll check them out.
    From memory,in anamorphic 16X9 mode with The Fast and the Furious playing it was fairly close,though the Nintaus does improve on the (admittedly minor) jaggies I noticed from the Toshiba.This is a best case scenario though, and non anamorphic and full frame material is noticably improved by the Nintaus' progressive component output,even from a PAL source IMHO

Pete :)

9. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Thanks alot Peter - appreciate your findings