• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

to buy a un55hu9000? or get something from 2015?

To buy the un55hu9000?

• Total voters

Badw0lf

Novice Member
i'm new here, need a bit of advice, have the chance to get un55hu9000 brand new, for a good price

i know its last years model, but its one of the highest, should I, or are there other options you would recommend from 2015, budget is 1K

please advise, i researched about this one but still unsure.

Incarniac

Standard Member
For that price (1k CAD$?) I would be inclined to go for it. This was Samsung's flagship LED TV last year and for that budget you wouldn't get a 4K/UHD TV of this year's lineup (a quick glance at Best Buy Canada site shows around $1600 for the 55" JU6500 or JU6400, and those are entry-level 4K TVs). I'm sure you will be very happy with it for quite some time.

However, if you are not yet very familiar with 4K/UHD I would recommend you read up on on it a bit. Some things to take into consideration:
  • The HU9000 has one HDMI port that is HDCP 2.2 capable, which is needed to play back protected 4K content from units external to the TV, such as UHD Blu-ray (when available) or Amazon Fire TV or similar. (Source: CNET and Crutchfield. Samsung's own specs are not entirely clear on this.)
  • Streaming 4K from Netflix and Amazon will work on the TV itself due to the built-in apps, but due to the above it supports one external unit providing protected 4K content.
  • This TV does come with the Samsung One Connect box, so the TV processing unit and inputs can be upgraded if at some point you want/need to without replacing the TV screen.
  • Bear in mind that most content you'll be watching for some time will upscaled from SD and HD to 4K. The TV will do a good job of it, but it is something to keep in mind - particularly for SD content.

Badw0lf

Novice Member
Thanks for the deep reply, I was aware of those facts, I was more concerned about the panel itself, I know that eventually I can get an upgrade kit to fix the only 1 hdcp 2.2 port.

With my research I found this won't do what hdmi 2.0a can do with the 10bit color, or will it be something I likely won't care about as it's already a good image?.

And will the 55ju7100 have better panel and image quality?

Incarniac

Standard Member
Thanks for the deep reply, I was aware of those facts

Ah, nice one. There's probably not much I can offer apart from my opinion that if future-proofing (ie 10-bit / HDR) is something you're concerned about then you don't want to look at last year models at all.

This year's JU series are the "normal" 4K/UHD (non-SUHD) panels from Samsung, without wider colour gamut or HDR support, so in terms of picture quality I would guess you are (at least) as well off with the top-end HU9000, particularly for the price.

Badw0lf

Novice Member
Sorry by deep I ment in depth. I really appreciate it and will stick to the hu9000 and say he'll with the rest.

Companies are just making far too many models, and Samsung is the worst at that.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom