1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Buy a Toshiba SD900E or...........?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Winnie, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Winnie

Winnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have always liked the Toshiba SD900E and now there are a few still available at what I consider to be a good price, should I take the plunge, or should I consider the newer all singing, all dancing players that can be had for the same price. (eg. Denon 1710; Yamaha 540/550; Marantz 4400; Harman Kardon 2550)

I know what I DON'T want and that is these wafer thin slimline players.

I'm aware that the sd900e doesn't do true PAL Progressive, but as the quality of the picture anyway seems to be superior, would I really notice ?

Opinions please of owners of this bit of kit or any others mentioned.

Thanks

Paul

2. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I have a multi-region TOSHIBA SD900E and have had no problems with it at all. The picture from PAL and NTSC is fab and the sound is great as well. It doesn't do true PAL progressive though. I'm upgrading to a PIONEER 868AViS for the HDMI output, so my TOSH needs a new home. Would you be interested in it? It is as new with remote, manual, box... everything.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Cracking player. It is beaten on image quality by some of the newer, higher priced, players but as an all round machine, particularly if you use it for audio playback, then it's hard to beat at the current prices they can be picked up for. It's also looks sublime with really clean lines and that nice drop down panel.

If DVD-A is your thing then a real strong reason to buy one. I sold one a couple of weeks back but have no intention selling my second one as, for the money they fetch second hand, it's hard for sellers to let them go. Great for buyers though :D

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    There are 3 things wrong with the SD-900e:

1. No PAL progressive scan
    2. No SACD playback
    3. No DVI/HDMI outputs

and if the above were on the player I would still own mine! But for a player of this age that can outperform many of the new models out there at the moment I would say that if you don't need the missing feature then it is a must have player.
    Had I known that I was going to be getting a video processor then the chances are that I would have kept the player anyway as the PQ is so good and the video processor would have done away with the need for 'progressive PAL' and I don't really need the HDMI output of my DV29 (well not at the moment).

Just one thing to note though if you are buying this player new - the chances are that it is not new but a reconditioned unit. The SD-900e has been discontinued model for over 2 years now and I doubt there are many, if any brand new ones around. I have heard people say that they have been offered them as being new but found they were recondition once they got them home. I'm not sure how true this is, but think it could well be true due to the age of the player.

Mark.