To buy a muti region for higher price or use harmony

tailwind

Established Member
Reaction score
to modify it?

Is it worth paying extra 10/20 quid to get a modified version of a player, or is it better save the money and use the Harmony one control to hack it to a multi region player.

Next question is, Pioneer 51FD or Panasonic BD35?

to modify it?

Is it worth paying extra 10/20 quid to get a modified version of a player, or is it better save the money and use the Harmony one control to hack it to a multi region player...

A bit of a no brainer I would think, as long as you already have the harmony remote then do it yourself for free. :thumbsup:

A bit of a no brainer I would think, as long as you already have the harmony remote then do it yourself for free. :thumbsup:

Well, a harmony one is on its way. Got it for £75 with a discount code on Amazon :thumbsup:.

I agree about saving the money and using the remote.

Harmony One remotes are on offer on Amazon for £75 delivered (use code HARMONY1). You can buy a cheap special one off remote off ebay that will make the Pioneer BD51 multi-region for DVD for around a tenner. You can use this remote twice then send it back for small discount.

The BD-35 can be made multi-region with a cheap All4One remote from Argos /Tescos (cost about £12).

I have had both the BD35 and 51FD. I ended up with the 51FD based on build quality /looks as it matches my Pioneer amp. In terms of PQ and audio I did not really notice real improvement with the 51FD as I have an old 720P screen. While others have mentioned a slight improvement.

The BD35 is loaded up with all the features and is a great player where the Pioneer lacks forced 720P output and has no ethernet which means no BD Live (not that I am concerned anyway).

I have had both the BD35 and 51FD. I ended up with the 51FD based on build quality /looks as it matches my Pioneer amp. In terms of PQ and audio I did not really notice real improvement with the 51FD as I have an old 720P screen. While others have mentioned a slight improvement.

Pioneer will definitely match my plasma which is a 5080XD. I agree with the looks of it against the Panasonic. Will go and check it out in Richer Sounds this afternoon or tomorrow.

I brought mine from richer on sat very happy dont hang about the price £319 is so cheap bound to go up a better machine than Sony 550 or Panansonic 55.

Harmony One remotes are on offer on Amazon for £75 delivered (use code HARMONY1). You can buy a cheap special one off remote off ebay that will make the Pioneer BD51 multi-region for DVD for around a tenner. You can use this remote twice then send it back for small discount.

The BD-35 can be made multi-region with a cheap All4One remote from Argos /Tescos (cost about £12).

The BD35 is loaded up with all the features and is a great player where the Pioneer lacks forced 720P output and has no ethernet which means no BD Live (not that I am concerned anyway).

How long has the HARMONY1 code been active on Amazon? I bought one last week

ObeyOne posted this info in the AV bargain section on the 26/1. Not sure how long this code has been active for.

I have the Harmony 555, will that be able to do the multi region trick too?

Pioneer will definitely match my plasma which is a 5080XD. I agree with the looks of it against the Panasonic. Will go and check it out in Richer Sounds this afternoon or tomorrow.

same screen and went for the BD35 and put the rest of the money into discs.

Give it a year and i may "upgrade" the BD player..

not sure if your aware but The Harmony trick will only change the player to multi region for DVDs only. To get MR on BR you will need to get a modded machine or buy the DIY mod if you are good at soldering.

I multi-regioned my Pioneer '51 last night, took a few seconds and worked perfectly, really is so easy with the Harmony :smashin:

It's definately a positive thing to be able to do in my eyes, as it means I can supercede my old dvd player completely :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom