To buy a Blu-ray player or not?

shailesh1

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and was looking for some advice. I recently had my Panasonic AX902B TV returned due to a faulty panel and got the LG OLED65G6V because I like to watch movies in 3D and have a large collection.

I didn't really notice any 3D issues with my Panasonic TV but the LG, there is a lot of ghosting and crosstalk. I am using a HTPC with a GTX 960 card and the latest drivers, watching on PowerDVD 15 Ultra. I went out and bought a Pansonic DMP BDT180 to test the TV using the original discs and the playback was simply stunning in 3D, so I'm glad there isn't a problem with the TV.

As I backup my discs to a NAS, I was wondering if there was a Blu-Ray player that would be able to play ISO images over the network. I saw the Oppo UDP 203 used to allow that but doesn't anymore but I couldn't find any other's that do. I would also need 2 HDMI connections, one for audio as my Yamaha RX-V2067 doesn't allow 3D so I have a direct HDMI connection to my TV and optical out from HTPC to the receiver.

Failing that, maybe I can upgrade the Yamaha to a newer receiver that has 3D as well as Atmos etc. I did try to search for a receiver that allows 3D movies but all I could see was 3D Auro.

Sorry for the long post, it is frustrating when one piece of hardware that was working really well packs up and the replacement means other part of the system may need updating too!!

Shailesh

citywalker

All new receivers and not older than 5-6 years support 3D too. It is very rare to not support 3D. Maybe it isn't mentioned anymore.
Most blu-ray players including 2 hdmi-s are new UHD players like Oppo, Panasonic etc. Usual cheaper ones have only 1 hdmi.

shailesh1

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if any of the Oppo, Panasonic players will play bluray iso's from a NAS? I can't seem to find one that does.

citywalker

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if any of the Oppo, Panasonic players will play bluray iso's from a NAS? I can't seem to find one that does.
Never tried and don't have information about that.
If primary goal is files not disks, then maybe some mini computer is better choice than bd player?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom