1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Biamp or Not to Biamp - That is the question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by stevos, Sep 8, 2005.

1. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    My system is

Cyrus Disc (+ PSX-r)/Dac Master -> Arcam FMJ A32 - > Monitor Audio GR20.

The sound is missing something, that i can't quite put my finger on.

What difference could i expect if i was to bi-amp the GR20's?

Any suggestions of equipment replacements / upgrades?

Cheers in advance
    Steve.

2. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Don't take this the wrong way, but missing something compared to what?

3. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Good question. Strangely enough my ipod has more life (not quite sure how to define it) in the music. I guess the sound is a bit dry and without soul, doesn't make you want to tap along to the music.

As i said i can't quite put my finger on it.

4. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Pack the kit away and put it in the loft/under the stairs and leave it for a few weeks. Unpack it and it will sound brilliant! It won't cost you a penny!

Having recently upgraded speakers and amp (not to the level of stuff you've got) it was clear there was an improvement each time, but several months on I can't remember what the old "sound" was like, have nothing to compare the current situation with, and therefore a sense of disaffection creeps in, and a fear that things "might not be quite right". However, that way madness lies!

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The GR20's do need quite a lot to drive them along. If you could arrange to loan an amp then certainly worth a try. Quite a big investment for something that may or may not work. If your amp is struggling to drive them then BI Amping will certainly help.
    If however you are looking for foot tapping try something like Exposure or Densen.
    I'm not familiar with the Cyrus source so couldn't really suggest a suitable upgrade. Adding a cheap NOSDAC would certainly change the sound. Would give you a more 'Analogue' feel. whether you would find it an improvment or just different, I don't know.

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Nice idea. Like it. :)

I have no experience of your setup stevo, but I've heard very good systems that
    sound uninspiring. I think sometimes the 'faults' in a systems frequency response
    may give it a bit more excitement, a bit like a loudness button. Maybe your system
    is not well matched, but I like GW43's idea.

Also, there is a sort of unquenchable thirst for the ultimate sound quality, which is actually unobtainable. I don't think any of us will ever listen to system & say "That's it, my search is over. Nothing is better!" There is always better & we can never achieve perfect sound (no doubt someone will post saying they have found the perfect sound :) ). We always want more, no matter how much we've got. That's why millionaires keep on thinking of ways to make more money, & why us hifi/AV enthusiasts keep on upgrading ;) .

7. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I think madness has already stuck. Although don't get me wrong, i do like my system, and it makes my brothers cheaper set up sound muddy.

I went to a hifi show a couple of years ago and listened to Cyrus' top of the setup (must have cost £10k+) and within seconds my feet started to tap without conscience effort on my part. That is what i am after from my system.

8. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Must have posted my last post at the same time as timbo21, but i guess i agree with what he is saying. Maybe it's time to just live with what i have, after all it does sound really rather good most of the time.

9. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Maybe you should get the CD they were playing lol.... Only joking.

It's easy to get very caught up in sound quality rather than the music, and let's
    face it most pop records are highly flawed sonically. I used to very much listen
    always to the engineering & production, but now I try to listen to the music.

However, listening to Madonna's Ray Of Light album, that is so dull & lacking in presence that it makes it hard to enjoy.

10. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    It's often the case that the best solution "technically" doesn't always give the most satisfaction. How often does a song come on the car radio and gets you singing along & your fingers drumming on the wheel, even though it's being delivered in less than ideal conditions? The best car I ever had for driving pleasure was a 14 year old Mini - crap for long distances, but a real hoot around country lanes. I suppose it's the same with HiFi.

This is what I tell myself anyway. It's saved many a long argument with SWMBO

11. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    I have always wondered if it was the CD they were playing or whether it was the stupidly expensive hifi and speakers. I don't know which speakers they were, but they were huge, around 4x the size of the GR20's.

12. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Are the cryus bits old ? maybe you should try a new CD player... borrow one from a mate and see if it sound better? As for bi-amping it does work it just gives you a bit more of everything. Dunno if its just about more power but the control of bass, timing and clarity all improve. Gotta say that a change in cabling can do help fine tune. What you using at the moment Stevos?

13. cwilson

cwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    foot tapping involvement usually comes from the source, the speakers can slow it down, but they will not put it there if the source does not generate it. Pop down to the dealer you purchased your kit from and try and arrange a home demo of a alternate source, naim and rega normally get your feet tapping, If that does not do it, try a different amp. Or just wait a month and see what you think then.

14. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Cabling is all from Nordost, i believe it is

Moonglow2 -> Digital
    SPM -> Interconnect
    Superflatline Gold II -> Speaker cables

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The GR20's need alot of power to drive them properly Bi Amping IMO can make a huge difference to the quality of sound... :)

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    There's a great piece about the worths of bi-amping in this months HiFi News. The conclusions are that it makes no difference, according to their tests.

17. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure you don't mean bi wiring & not Bi amping Tejstar?

18. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    gotta agree with Mr Wilson rega cd players does get ones foot tapping,

19. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Not had any experience with rega, other than on the LP side. How much are there CDplayers and what model would you recommend.

Not sure that my local dealer sells Rega, so my need to call them, anyone got a contact number.

Cheers
    Steve.

20. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are 2 the Planet and the Jupiter both have the same casing. The jupiter I haven't heard but I've got a planet. The planet is £500 and the jupiter £1000 new. 2nd hand £250ish for the planet. but they are top loading so you would need about 6-7" above it. There is an older version of the planet as well. The newer ones have the transport in the centre (sometimes called planet 2000)... the older ones on the side. Both have had goodish reviews everywhere. It depend on what you budget is really. Quad make a super CD player too, and the Inca's sound good too. I wouldn't buy anything without demoing it first. Some of the 2nd hand sites will let you try it at home for a 2 weeks.

21. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The Jupiter has a slightly more refined sound. Generally slightly smoother all round. It also has a better transport. More Aluminium, less plastic. It has better components in the signal path and a better power supply. Unfortunately it isn't £500 better than the Planet which is quite a nice little player. You do have to watch them if buying second hand as the transport does tend to become slightly noisy over time.

22. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Yep, sorry I was talking about biwiring. :blush:

23. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: