1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to bi-polar, or not to bi-polar

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gover_1, May 26, 2004.

1. gover_1

gover_1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi, i have a system running kef reference 104 ab front speakers, a kef reference q series 90c centre speaker and kef coda 7 rear speakers, i picked up the centre and the rears for £50 as a pair, the centre i am very pleased with, the fronts are amazing, but the coda 7's although well reviewed as a budget bookshelf doesnt seem to fill the room with sound, aparently the bi-polar speakers do this much better, how good is something like the Mission 70ds?, also in my room i coul wall mount one , and the other would sit on a shelf, do these speakers have to be wall mounted? cheers, mark
    p.s any sujjestions on good bi-polar speakers welcome

2. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have recently changed from a pair of bipolar speakers (70ds) to some Canton satellites as part of the CD1 set for the rears.

The bipolar speakers certainly seem to fill the room more than the sats. The downside for me was that they would tend to over power the sub-sat sound from the Aego fronts I had before. Also I do listen to some multi-channel music, and the effect from the bipolars was not quite right with that.

I was going to keep the Mission rears, but it worked out that I got the Canton sats as good as free by buying the full CD1 set rather than the bits individually so I decided to use them and sell the Missions.

Not sure about the whole mounting on a shelf thing. One thing I will say is that one of my Missions was mounted on the wall inverted about 6" above a bookcase, and the sound was noticably less able to fill the soundstage than the other speaker with no obstructions. This probably won't be an issue if you are planning to have them lower down and the right way up, though