To be similar to Plasma (TXP55ST60B)

lee1980

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Panasonic TXP55ST60B in lounge on cantilever wall mount, previously had 42" plasma to. Really impressed by its natural colours and tones and of course, blacks are good.
1080p blurays look amazing a step up from previous dvd's.
For extension want ideally 65", worried LED of any sort will look to bright and unnatural. I suspect the answer will be OLED lol.
Room is 5m x 2.7m Tv one end on wall, with a 5.1 set up B&W 600 series getting on now but do the business for me. One wall has 3.6m wide bi-fold doors with integral blinds seem to work ok but in day time doubt block out all sun, 2 large Velex roof lights 1.6 x 1.0m, blinds on these when get are meant to totally black out. All wiring in walls/ceiling and under floor heating to for winter!
Proper movie watching will be when its getting dark or dark, but if OLED not best for brighter rooms may not be the best, as this will be play room for daughter to and at the 2.5 years old but wont be long before will want to watch Frozen 10x times a day lol.
Thinking maybe cheapish 65" led for around 1k and see how better OLED gets as still seems to be issued and short comings as technology is new still.

Thanks
Regards

Lee.

Attachments

• Done 3.jpg
    Done 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 55
  • Ext finish.jpg
    Ext finish.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 66
OLED will be fine. But you’ probably want 65” regardless of panel technology.

OLED will be £2000 or more. Lcd starts at roughly £1100 for a decent set - Hisense U7A for example.

But it depends on what sources you plan on using - any plans for 4K/HDR content?

Thanks yea I am thinking 65" a must for distances need to be at etc.
Plan on buying relevant bluray player for 4k etc and the discs plus netflix etc in 4k really.

If you can get the LG B7 in 65”, budget wise, then it’ll be closer to your plasma. It’s only incremental improvements year on year now with OLED panels.

A cheap lcd will be poor with hdr, and black levels won’t get near plasma levels. You’d want to be looking at Sony XF9005 and Samsung Q8DN or Q9FN but they’re all poor value compared to the B7.

Another thing, do you need wide viewing angles?

I have been seeing the LG C8 for 3k minus 500 cash back but think missed that one! lol
Will keep an eye on though, maybe later in year sony Af8 drop in price etc to.

Yeah I think I not be happy so with LCD etc.

About 2.7m wide and wall/doors each side so not majorly important. With plasma now viewing angles are great to on lounge.

I have been seeing the LG C8 for 3k minus 500 cash back but think missed that one! lol
Still £500 more than it will be this time next year.
About 2.7m wide and wall/doors each side so not majorly important. With plasma now viewing angles are great to on lounge.
LCD viewing angles are narrow. If you like having good viewing angles you will not like LCD.

The Hisense 65N6800 right now is cheap as anything for a respectable LCD TV if you want a stopgap.

Of course prices will drop every few months or when a new one comes out.

Richer sounds only have C8 instore not checked locally as would not fit in a Honda jazz or mazda RX8 lol

First major price drops will be black friday, may be a good deal on then.

Until then its all the usual cashback promo's and free players/soundbar promotions. Black friday really is when the first serious discounts happen.

But clearance the year later is still the best time to buy. If you want the latest and greatest you have to pay a premium for it. Its never really worth the extra to pay release prices either, the benefits never outweigh the cost.

My tiling in extension is going be a while and other decor, so got a few months so will see, I think as you say what comes out new and maybe get an earlier model.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom