Quantcast

To be an audiophile or not?

Helix Hifi

Hey friends... I’m wondering do audiophiles like my self like to use Spotify set to max sound resolution 320kps which is not mp3, but is Spotify’s own codec, which is called Ogg Vorbis. I do think it sounds surprisingly good! There’s punch in sound, it’s clear and nice. Of course cd side by side with Spotify with same remasters cd is of course better! But not my much in my book, or ears. Spotify sounds a bit narrower vs cd which sounds a bit more open. But if you play a non remastered cd then Spotify has no chance. I’ve tried Tidal. I think Tidal sounded a bit closer to cd then Spotify, but not by much. Their MQA Files only sounded different, not better. And Tidal app is well you know... But what surprised was the MQA files. They did not scream hallelujah to me. So in the end Tidal was not worth it. Do audiophiles use Spotify? Or is it Tidal that rules? Your own ripped cds? Thanks.

Last edited:

Helix Hifi

I Spotify Premium most of time. But I still use a CD player, a CD player! When I wanna play non remastered cds that sounds much better then remastered cds. I have not ripped my cds yet!😞 I need to do that soon. The reason I started this tread (hopefully it well sped up) is that I’ve heard the following:”You are not an audiophile if you listen to Spotify, only cd quality we’ll do”. This got me thinking what about vinyl. Vinyl is amazing to listen too if the records are well maintained which sadly most of times isn’t the case.

larkone

Distinguished Member
Just listen to the music and stop stressing about which 'label' applies to you because of your listening choices - otherwise you will find yourself in that dark pit of constant contrary advice with no escape. :smashin:

Helix Hifi

I hear you loud and clear😉. Speaking of Tidal you’re right most of their so called cds are way under 1441kps! I tried telling that on the Bluesound forum away back, and that I thought MQA was meh. Some MQA files were good, but it wasn’t worth it end. Thanks friend. Have nice weekend!

phil t

Just listen to the music and stop stressing about which 'label' applies to you because of your listening choices - otherwise you will find yourself in that dark pit of constant contrary advice with no escape. :smashin:
I agree.

phil t

I still mostly listen to cds, admittedly these are ripped to flac.

Spotify and internet radio are another two, these tend to be more for background.

Either which, just listen and enjoy.

Helix Hifi

Yes! I just need to rip my cds soon. And I have two Floyd cds with pre emphasis!! My nightmare awaits!

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Well you have plenty of time to rip your collection now! I spent a few months ripping around 1000 CDs. I store them on an unraid server which in turn runs Roon. Roon is a fairly expensive solution and has been discussed elsewhere so I won’t go into details. storage is so reasonable at the moment that it really is a nice project to rip all your music

Helix Hifi

I sure do. It’s just that I’m not a computer expert. I know the basic. Reformatting your pc if you got virus and such. And I know plenty of software to use. iTunes etc. But you need additional software to rip cds with pre emphasis. So that’s a challenge. Not that Floyd sounds bad on cd. But the early 80-s cds are special. More analog sound even though they are not from the master tapes.

Helix Hifi

Well you have plenty of time to rip your collection now! I spent a few months ripping around 1000 CDs. I store them on an unraid server which in turn runs Roon. Roon is a fairly expensive solution and has been discussed elsewhere so I won’t go into details. storage is so reasonable at the moment that it really is a nice project to rip all your music
Can you recommend a good NAS which is silent? Been thinking about buying myself a Vault2i. But I don’t know?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Can you recommend a good NAS which is silent? Been thinking about buying myself a Vault2i. But I don’t know?
Most NAS, unless they have SSD which will drive the cost up, will have some level of noise from the HDD. This doesn't bother some people, others it frustrates. Then you have fan noise on top but the advantage of the NAS is usually you can put it anywhere in the house. It is better if it is hardwired into your network, especially if you are storing videos but for music then it is not as big a deal.

Can you not locate it elsewhere so you don't need to worry about the noise levels as much?

Helix Hifi

Most NAS, unless they have SSD which will drive the cost up, will have some level of noise from the HDD. This doesn't bother some people, others it frustrates. Then you have fan noise on top but the advantage of the NAS is usually you can put it anywhere in the house. It is better if it is hardwired into your network, especially if you are storing videos but for music then it is not as big a deal.

Can you not locate it elsewhere so you don't need to worry about the noise levels as much?
I see. Is there a number symbol I check for the ones that don’t makes as much noise? Yes, I could probably have one downstairs... But I like to have all my equipment on one place. Been thinking about the BS Vault2i. According to Bluesound it’s supposed to be very silent. I mean if it’s a low, very low hum noice from the fans I could probably live it.

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
NAS boxes are functional. They can be as sexy or as ugly as you deem fit. Ultimately they are functional boxes that can and should be hidden away. Mine is hidden away in a cupboard and I administrate from other computers, phones and/or tablets.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I see. Is there a number symbol I check for the ones that don’t makes as much noise? Yes, I could probably have one downstairs... But I like to have all my equipment on one place. Been thinking about the BS Vault2i. According to Bluesound it’s supposed to be very silent. I mean if it’s a low, very low hum noice from the fans I could probably live it.
The BS Vault2i is not a NAS though in the traditional sense and rightly looks good on a rack/stand with the rest of your equipment. It incorporates a streamer as far as I can tell so hooks directly to your amp.

A "traditional" NAS will require a streamer of some description to play the files which would typically go in your rack and be silent.

Some NAS will have a noise level indication probably in dB(A) which should be comparable between models but is not always.

It also doesn't necessarily describe how the sound of it is as I find that at a given sound level then some sounds are more annoying than others. I don't have any fans in my living room apart from the ones in my plasma TV and I find those irritating particularly on quiet scenes even though it doesn't bother some people.

Orobas

Ogg Vorbis is a Lossy codec however.. at high bitrates of over 128kbs it is better than mp3 and aac. it is not better than FLAC though unless specifically stated as ogg flac.

MQA is also a lossy codec but it presents the data much differently being sent as a 44/24 stream as opposed to a 44/16 and restricts the loss in much the same way as aptx and LDAC

In theory ogg vorbis and MQA should sound almost identical until you come to the very highest stream levels (320) then the MQA will just slightly edge vorbis... provided you have a system of sufficient quality to be able to hear it..

Helix Hifi

Ogg Vorbis is a Lossy codec however.. at high bitrates of over 128kbs it is better than mp3 and aac. it is not better than FLAC though unless specifically stated as ogg flac.

MQA is also a lossy codec but it presents the data much differently being sent as a 44/24 stream as opposed to a 44/16 and restricts the loss in much the same way as aptx and LDAC

In theory ogg vorbis and MQA should sound almost identical until you come to the very highest stream levels (320) then the MQA will just slightly edge vorbis... provided you have a system of sufficient quality to be able to hear it..
Say that on the Bluesound forum. They well be 😤.

robdmarsh

I've recently started listening to Amazon music HD via bluetooth to my streamer. Very impressed with the sound quality. The tracks are either labelled HD or Ultra HD but they all sound good. I suppose HD is CD quality and Ultra HD is some kind of high res encoding, haven't checked but I think I can in the settings. Value for money is pretty good - £12.99 per month for Prime members

Helix Hifi

I have also heard that, though not as high as 1441kps flac but around 850 kps. But according to the web it should be cd quality? It’s a bit confusing when cd quality is 1441kps. Available in Norway?

bruny

@Helix Hifi instead of buying a NAS why don’t you get yourself an external hard drive and plug into your node 2i via USB. I believe the node 2i can index 200,000 songs stored on a USB drive. Much cheaper and quieter than a NAS as hard drives are cheap these days.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I'm no audiophile despite the fact I post about audio a lot. 9 times out of 10 I'm listening off axis with the music just being there to fill the silence. In fact I'v spent silly money for primarily background music, but it is what it is!

I've found the only way I can truly just 'listen' is via headphones. Sadly my headphone setup is quite inferior to the stereo these days, so it just sounds plain awful.

Currently swap between Spotify (paid) and CD. Obv CD has the edge, but Spotify has the massive library, so I tend to use Spotify a lot more. Usually just Spotify made playlists. I trialed Qobuz for a month which is quite superior to Spotify in sound quality, however my internet isn't upto streaming hi-res currently (2mb ADSL), so ended up ditching that.

Been contemplating a better headphone setup, but life always ends up spending any money I set aside.

Helix Hifi

@Helix Hifi instead of buying a NAS why don’t you get yourself an external hard drive and plug into your node 2i via USB. I believe the node 2i can index 200,000 songs stored on a USB drive. Much cheaper and quieter than a NAS as hard drives are cheap these days.
Trust me I googled a lot and thought about buying two HDD, SDD drives and plug in the Node2i. The problem is according to the Bluesound Forum the USB behind the Node2i is more used for music on the go, not for permanent storage. The Node2i apparently takes a long time reindex the songs also. But many are apparently are having no issue with that solution. But if I go down that road Bluesound says it’s best I attach the usb drive to my router, then use file sharing. Do you know people who had done this with problems? If so two SDD from Samsung is next....

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you want a quiet HDD (without purchasing a SSD) then look at 5400rpm Western Digital Red. These are one of the quietest drives on the market and many professional solutions use them. As for basic and software to archive your CD's look at either EAC (Exact Audio Copy) or dBPowerAmp.

I made my own solution many years ago and have never looked back. To really bring your music to life from a PC, you do need to use a DAC which takes a USB input and more importantly I would recommend using one that is asynchronous appose to synchronous

Helix Hifi

I made my own solution many years ago and have never looked back. To really bring your music to life from a PC, you do need to use a DAC which takes a USB input and more importantly I would recommend using one that is asynchronous appose to synchronous
What exactly do you mean with your last quote? If you mean how I stream my own local music files from my PC, Laptop, Mac Laptop, that it’s best to use the USB connection which is asynchronous then synchronous? If so I have a REGA DAC R. A very fine DAC indeed. Regarding ripping my cds I know about iTunes, dBPoweramp. iTunes supposedly does not connect with the accurate rip database. dBPoweramp does connect to accurateRip. I suppose E.A.C also does. Do you know which software handles cds with pre emphasis? Both rip the cds, and play them?