To balun, or not to balun?

MultiRoom

I'm moving my AVR to a remote location, perhaps 20m in cable run length, and will be running CAT5e for a majority of the connectivity. However, in some instances I was wondering if baluns would be the right option, or the standard cable cut and terminated.

My initial thoughts were to run:

2 x cat 5 for HDMI balun to TV (ARC)
2 x cat 5 for HDMI balun local input (for connecting games console/laptop locally)
1 x cat 5 for IR balun (possibly handled by the HDMI balun)
1 x cat 5 for USB balun (for mouse and keyboard to media centre PC)
1 x cat 5 for Phono (sub)
1 x cat 5 for network connectivity

My concerns are really for the sub. So lets say that the run will be 15-20m, what I'm concerned about is delay - is there an inherent delay introduced as the signal is converted and then reconverted back again? Would it be best to simply run a normal cable, cut the end I need to feed and re-terminate it into a faceplate? All of my CAT5 cables will be terminated into faceplates, by a professional and Fluke tested before use.

I have an associate that normally sorts out my AV kit at decent rates, he uses Wyrestorm baluns, and from previous experience I know that cheap baluns are to be avoided, is there any preferred brand that the AV forums members are using?

Any thoughts and guidance from anyone who's done similar would be great, as well as some of the pitfalls to avoid.

Many thanks all.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Depending on what Source devices and signal formats you plan to support the Sub is the least of your worries if you are trying to use any form of ‘over CAT’ Extender.

List the kit you plan to use (Display, AVR and Source devices) and which content streams you wish to use - also indicate if you are likely to be upgrading any of the hardware in the near future.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom