• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

To AV or not AV...that is the Question

neillers

Standard Member
Evening all,

I have been deliberating for a while now whether to invest in an AV receiver or
just run the cables up my wall and buy an audio only amp.

I have an SD cable box and I was going for an AV because of the 1080p processing but I have two major issues:

1:Video lag. I was going for a 2310 until I read up on this.

2:Input control...ie contrast,brightness and colour will have to be the same for all my devices.

I have done a great deal of reading here and these issues rear their head a lot...

Any comments on the above or amp recommendations that avoid these problems will be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Neillers.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Personally I would not connect any devices video via a AV amp unless i had something to gain.
1. Blu-ray and HD audio
2. ?
All other devices would connect direct to the TV and optical or what is available.
Example why connect a SKYHD box to a AV amp? Personally no point, and sometimes you want to listen to the TV without the AV on. Who wants the news at 1000watts in 7.1.

deckingman

Personally I would not connect any devices video via a AV amp unless i had something to gain.
1. Blu-ray and HD audio
2. ?
All other devices would connect direct to the TV and optical or what is available.
Example why connect a SKYHD box to a AV amp? Personally no point, and sometimes you want to listen to the TV without the AV on. Who wants the news at 1000watts in 7.1.

Ref the last point, what I do (and a lot of others) is have the SkyHD box connect to the TV via HDMI for "normal viewing" but have a digital cable from the sky box for watching movies in 5.1 suround sound.

But yes, in general terms there is little point having an AV receiver unless you have a speaker package too.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I would not worry about the 1080p processing bit either since your TV will do as good a job anyway of upscaling. If you really want to improve the upscaling you need to buy a proper video processor like DVDO Edge or Lumigen.

neillers

Standard Member
just to clear up point no.2

What I meant was that if using an AV receiver I would in theory only have one input into the TV from the AV receiver.

So all my devices would be restricted to the settings for that one HDMI input...
colour, brightness contrast etc.

I've decided to run cables for all my devices (and some extra in case)
and save my money for a top end Stereo amp.

Thanks for all your input guys :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom