To Arcam AV200 or not??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by garyjd, Nov 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. garyjd

garyjd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guy's,

Im looking for help in deciding how to put together a new system. I want to start down the route of Home cinema so an AV is the first step, primarily its use would be music but I don't just want to replace my current amp.

I have had a demo of the Arcam AV200 and although it sounded pretty good it does seem pretty dated now (hence why its £500 at mo) and the review I read wasn't that positive. However the review of the Marantz SR5400 (£450-500) does seem a lot better, one noticeable difference is the Marantz is 6.1 where as the Arcam is 5.1. There is off course the next notch up and the Marantz SR7400. Also I wouldn't be able to bi-amp my Kef front speakers with the Arcam (these need replacing) but could I use my current Rotel 931 amp to achieve this even though its not designed for the job?

I've got lots of question but Im concentrating on a good AV at the moment and building up in stages, space is a premium in our house so the cost has to be justified but Im open to suggestions of good AV's up to £700.

Thanks

Gary