Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

To anyone wondering about MCE/HTPC with a CRT

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chedmaster, Jul 19, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    After hours of tweaking with my new graphics/sound cards, i have officially SUCCEEDED! :D :D :D

Years back (well about a year or two) i decided to plug my composite lead into my 28" wide TV. it was shockingly bad. Most people would either leave it at that, or if they are really determined, decide that composite/s-video is rubbish and try vga to scart or component and waste away hours of their lives (i respect you guys btw!!!).

I have a different kind of determination at the age of 17. Make what I've got serve its purpose, on a small budget. Ive got an s-video feed into my tv. Multi display set to clone mode to minimise processing, and res. set to 720x576 (dvd). That looked as bad as everything else, frankly. So i had a fiddle with size/pos to check it wasn't a "non- 1:1 pixel mapping thing". It wasn't, it was just bad.

In the ATI Catalyst control panel I saw a setting (which I never saw in nvidia) "Video mode". Previously I thought this would just make things smoother. OH no. I'm using my TV now from 7 or 8 feet, with standard text size etc, and i can read it like im sitting in front of an lcd monitor. Im honestly flabbergasted.

I cannot explain how clear it is, and although the overscan renders the task bar, lets say "hard to use", who cares? I can surf the net, use MCE (in awe of the clarity) and anything else people use PC's for ( :laugh: ) in 28" widescreen heaven.

Im so happy I havent dared look at a DVD for FRC artefacts. the thought terrifies me, think ill leave it to the morning!

Just to let everyone know, its possible.

2. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I canno0t find the setting in catalist control centre, using catalyst 5.7.

Where abouts is it?

Thanks

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,812
    I'll have a look at that setting....

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    its under tv display settings, and only works with low resolutions (720x576 or 640x480 - not sure about 720x480 but its not much use for plasmas as it doesnt work with 852x480)

In advanced you get the tree down the side and can adjust monitor settings (enable hdtv etc) and adjust the settings for the tv. if you cant find ill have another look and take a screen shot.

5. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok I got it to work but the start and task bar have dissappeared off my screen.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yeah mine half disappeared, its because sending it as a pure video signal means overscan is inherent, i bodged it by making the start bar twice the height :thumbsup:

7. 9761

Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thats a good idea