1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all those who ordered HDMI>HDMI cables...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Billilu, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...has your HDMI cable arrived yet?

If so, I have a question.

Well???

(Mine arrives tomorrow - Xmas post willing.)

2. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mine has :clap: :clap: :clap:

In actual fact I have three 2m Molex HDMI- HDMI cables! Are these like buses they all come at once;)

Seriously though I have 2 to sell. Any takers?

3. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the question is?????

(been running my HDMI for two weeks)

4. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is now, as it was then...

Well?

So Robert and Suzy, spill the beans.

5. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Billilu, Im guessing that you want to know if HDMI is better than component?

Before my HDMI cable was delivered I was using a Supra component cable. The picture via PAL progressive scan was extremely good. When I switched to HDMI I must admit I was a little disappointed. Watching the Terminator 2 (Region 1) the picture was grainy. I had noise reduction off so turned it to low and it was a lot better. I am outputing 720p so the 868 is scaling up to 720p. Im guessing this is the cause of the graininess. Watching a region 2 disk (625 lines) and it is a lot better when scaled to 720p. More information in the picture?

Only got the cable a couple of days ago so havent had time to test properly but its not the quantum leap in PQ from a good component feed that I was expecting.

6. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

Mine arrived this morning, and now we're going away for the night and I can't set it up till tomorrow. Grrrrr!!

7. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Back now. Surprised at the lack of response from proud new HDMI cable owners, although I note that Brogan has ignored this ready-made thread and started one of his own. :rolleyes:

Now connected, after it took me nearly an hour to realise that the reason neither my 868AVi nor 434HDE acknowledged the existence of the HDMI cable connecting them was that I had to disconnect the component cables first. Clearly the HDMI gets jealous and insists on being the one and only.

Anyway, it appears to work on all the resolutions, but I have no idea which setting is the best to leave it on for my 434. I barely understand the concept of upscaling and downscaling - and what little I do understand is probably wrong. So should it be 720x480P(NTSC)/576P(PAL) or 1280x720P or the mammoth 1920x1080I? Don't tell me to trust my eyes cos I don't trust them in the least!

Do I take it that 1920x1080I involves massive downscaling?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say 1280x720P would be best. Am I right?

Once I've got that sorted, it's onto the picture settings...

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi,

If you set the 868 to output 480/576p, there will only be one stage of scaling done - by the plasma to it's native 768 resolution. If you get it to output 720p or 1080i, there will be two scaling stages. I think you will need to do some testing to determine which gives the best results. Wonder why they didn't offer 768p as an option? D'oh!

Steve

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Perhaps if you had worded your original post in this thread a little more constructively than:
    then I might have responded.
    As it was, your post and this thread was largely meaningless.

Muppet :rolleyes:

10. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy Christmas to you too, Brogan! Not sure I appreciate being called a muppet on this day of all days, esp as my comment was obviously intended light-heartedly.

I thought the question 'Well?' clearly implied a concise but clear request for first impressions, with all the other words left unsaid, all the manifold questions left unasked, but clearly there to be read between the lines. Seems I was wrong, so I clarified it in a posting later on.

And thanks for contributing to this thread in the end. Especially as most people in the country are currently :zonked:

11. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Well as it's Xmas, perhaps I'll post something a little more constructive...;)

I've only actually set up the screen using the THX optimiser on the Star Wars disk and briefly viewed a few scenes from various movies so I haven't had time to evaluate the performance of the HDMI interface yet.
    Previously I was using RGB scart pass-through from my Sky digibox so, as you can imagine, there is an improvement over that but it is subtle.
    I would imagine that I need to do some more setting up to get optimal PQ and I'm still struggling over which setting is the best - currently I have it set to 1280 x 720p which I imagine should give the best picture as it is the closest resolution to the 504.
    I can't understand however why there isn't a pixel for pixel match on the resolutions - 1280 x 768 would have been ideal.
    Perhaps one of the resident experts can explain?
    We have family staying until tomorrrow (with kids) so it will be at least Friday before I can have a serious play.
    When you get the chance to do the THX calibration, post your settings so I can see how they compare to mine.

P.S. A wink smiley ;) always helps to reduce the seriousness of any comments...
    P.P.S I call everyone muppet so don't take it too hard...
    P.P.P.S This will probably be my last post as I too will be well and truly :zonked: later on...:D

12. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough. Will do. Take your point but I prefer :cool:

13. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well i did say that the pic was a a little bit better than component,
    but being one of those muppets:zonked: what would i know

but not better than most are hoping for me thinks.
    the nearest it does is is 720x1280 which is close so cant see why they didnt go the whole hog and give 768 for direct mapping hence bypassing the screens scaler.

as for which mode to go for youll have to trust your eye as there isnt much difference. some scalers scale down better than up and vice a versa. personaly i thought it looked best at 720p(750p)

14. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gandley,

I have the Momitsu v880 connected to my Pio 434 via DVI-HDMI and can choose from 720p, 768p, 1024 and 1080i. 720p and 1080i works fine but when i try to send the 768p @ 60hz and 1024 into the plasma the picture moves to the right side so i can only see half picture and custom dvi setting are not supported by the plasma at all.

So i guess the 434 is only designed to accept 720p & 1080i.

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    true, and interesting.(just thought it would be best if all did work with 768p thats all)

but i meant the native res of the 50ins panel which is 1280x768.

the 434 is 1024x768.
    its funny the they call it a direct pixel drive thingy but thats the only thing it dosent do in a sense.

i thought computers can 1:1 pixel map to the pioneers though, so y not the dvd players?

16. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based purely on the THX calibration rather than my own skill and judgment (ie lack of), the results are as follows:

Contrast +46
    Brightness +2
    Colour -10
    Tint -1
    Sharpness -1

I did these without reference to Brogan's listed in another thread, but they've come out remarkably similar, with the main 'talking point' being the high level of contrast.

Anyone else had a go?